Ghaith Mahmood is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins. Mr. Mahmood's practice focuses on technology and intellectual property based transactions.
Mr. Mahmood advises clients (and their investors) at all stages of growth and across a broad range of technology sectors, including in software, video games, virtual and augmented reality, social media, digital media, digital health, e-commerce, and information technology. Mr. Mahmood’s practice includes advising on the following types of matters:
- Technology, software, trademark and content development, license, and distribution agreements
- Strategic alliances, partnerships, and joint ventures involving the development or exploitation of technology or intellectual property
- Video game development and publishing agreements
- Manufacture, supply, and re-sale agreements
- Open-source licensing compliance, policies, and diligence analysis
- Consumer protection and advertising matters
Mr. Mahmood also regularly provides intellectual property and technology counseling in the context of mergers and acquisitions, corporate financing, and bankruptcy transactions, especially where such transactions involve the disposition and acquisition of companies with intellectual property portfolios. Mr. Mahmood also advises internet and digital media companies on intellectual property issues related to the use and distribution of user generated content transmitted through their online services, and in developing strategies for protecting and utilizing data generated through use of their online services. Mr. Mahmood was most recently recognized as a Recommended Lawyer for M&A/Corporate and Commercial and Media, Technology and Telecoms by The Legal 500 US 2018.
Additionally, Mr. Mahmood regularly represents nonprofit organizations in the technology industry and serves as lead counsel on matters advocating for the rights of asylum seekers, abused children, and the homeless.
Mr. Mahmood’s experience includes representing:
- Riot Games, in its investment in video game studio Hypixel Studios (developer of Hytale)
- American Airlines in negotiating bilateral frequent flyer programs with over 20 airlines, and also in negotiating strategic partnerships with online travel platforms
- NextVR to negotiate content and technology production, development, and distribution agreements related to the production and distribution of sports, music, and entertainment immersive experiences in virtual reality
- E-Sports organization Counter Logic Gaming on IP matters related to its sale of a controlling interest to Madison Square Garden Company
- Tencent to negotiate various agreements for the localization and publication of video games and other content throughout Asia
- IoT data analytics company AGT (and its subsidiary HEED) in negotiating agreements with sports leagues and other media companies to gather and analyze IoT data during sporting and entertainment events and deliver real-time insights using such data
- Various other virtual reality and augmented reality platforms and app developers in a broad range of licensing and development matters
- Disney in its acquisition of Maker Studios, one of the world’s largest multi-channel online video networks
- Idemia (formerly Oberthur) in negotiating mobile payment tokenization and security agreements with leading mobile platforms
- Nestle USA in negotiating various trademark license agreements related to branded food products;
- Starwood on IP and loyalty program matters related to its merger with Marriott
- One of the world’s largest health care providers in technology matters relating to the acquisition of several health care providers and vendors