Gabriel Bell, a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins, is a member of the Intellectual Property Litigation and Supreme Court and Appellate Practices.
Mr. Bell’s practice focuses on high-stakes intellectual property litigation in the Federal Circuit. Mr. Bell has represented a range of companies in the pharmaceutical, biotech, computer, automotive, and financial sectors. He has successfully argued over 10 appeals before the Federal Circuit and has led the briefing in dozens of others. Mr. Bell also has particular expertise in litigating patent eligibility under § 101.
Representative clients include:
- Eagle Pharmaceuticals
- Jaguar Land Rover North Am.
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
- Par Pharmaceutical Cos.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Bell was counsel for the US Senate Committee on the Judiciary. He has also held positions at the US Department of Justice and NASA Langley Research Center. In addition, he clerked for Judge Janice Rogers Brown on the D.C. Circuit, and Judge Patrick E. Higginbotham on the Fifth Circuit.
Mr. Bell is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court and the Fifth, Ninth, D.C., and Federal Circuits.
Representative appellate victories in intellectual property matters include:
- TriPlay, Inc. v. WhatsApp, Inc. (Fed. Cir. June 21, 2019)
- Intellectual Ventures I LLC v. Symantec Corp., 725 F. App’x 976 (Fed. Cir. 2018)
- Realtime Data, LLC v. Riverbed Tech., Inc., 742 F. App’x 505 (Fed. Cir. 2018)
- Braemar Mfg. v. InfoBionic, Inc., 721 F. App’x 990 (Fed. Cir. 2018)
- Vehicle Interface Techs. v. Jaguar Land Rover, 691 F. App’x 626 (Fed. Cir. 2017)
- InterDigital Communications, Inc. v. ZTE Corp., 711 F. App’x 998 (Fed. Cir. 2017)
- UUSI v. Webasto Roof Sys., 671 F. App'x 790 (Fed. Cir. 2016)
- Intellectual Ventures I LLC v. Symantec Corp., 838 F.3d 1307 (Fed. Cir. 2016)
- Dynamic 3D Geosolutions LLC v. Schlumberger Limited, 837 F.3d 1280 (Fed. Cir. 2016)
- Jericho Systems Corp. v. Axiomatics Inc., 642 F. App’x 979 (Fed. Cir. 2016)
- Vehicle Interface Techs., LLC v. Jaguar Land Rover N. Am., LLC, 639 F. App’x 651 (Fed. Cir. 2016)
- Suprema v. ITC & Cross Match Tech., 796 F.3d 1338 (Fed. Cir. 2015) (en banc)
- OIP Tech., Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc., 788 F.3d 1359 (Fed. Cir. 2015)
- Exela Pharma Sci., LLC v. Lee and Cadence Pharm., 781 F.3d 1349 (Fed. Cir. 2015)
- Federal Home Loan Mortg. Corp. v. Graff/Ross Holdings, LLP, 604 F. App’x 930 (Fed. Cir. 2015)
- Lugus IP LLP v. Volvo Car Corp., 604 F. App’x 932 (Fed. Cir. 2015)
- Cadence Pharm. Inc. v. Exela Pharmsci Inc., 780 F.3d 1364 (Fed. Cir. 2015)
- United Video Properties, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc., 561 F. App’x 914 (Fed. Cir. 2014)