Frank Grell chairs the German Restructuring, Insolvency & Workouts Practice. His practice focuses on insolvency and restructuring, including corporate reorganizations, debt restructuring, and out-of-court and in-court representation of creditors of distressed companies and investors in such companies, including in particular protective shield/insolvency plan proceedings and loan-to-own strategies.
Mr. Grell advises:
- Companies, management, and shareholders in a financial or operational crisis
- Creditors in all phases of financial restructurings, including debt-equity swaps, share pledge enforcements and insolvency plan proceedings
- Investors on the acquisition of distressed companies and on restructuring, rescue financing. or refinancing transactions
- Insolvency administrators on M&A, restructurings or disputes
JUVE 2016/2017 names him as a “leading name” and “recommended” lawyer for Restructuring and Insolvency as well as “recommended” lawyer for Corporate Law.
In Chambers Europe Germany he is regularly listed as a “key individual” for Restructuring/Insolvency. Clients note that “he prepares his work excellently, elaborates very well on his answers and doesn’t leave any open questions,” (2016). He is recognized as “a very experienced restructuring lawyer with great contacts [and] taken very seriously by the other parties” (2015). Furthermore, the publication describes him as “highly experienced in cross-border restructuring cases, notably those with UK law aspects” (2014). “Interviewees value Frank Grell’s calm approach to negotiations, saying: ‘He is really great at handling clients in tense situations.’ Another source added: ‘He’s both technical and commercial; a terrific guy to have at your side.’” In addition, he has been recognized as “prominent in the debt restructuring market” (2013).
Mr. Grell is also listed as leading lawyer for Restructuring in Germany by IFLR1000 2017 and The Legal 500 EMEA 2016. The latter also comments: “‘Top lawyer’ Frank Grell is ‘confident’ and ‘a calm negotiator.’” Handelsblatt Best Lawyers 2016 considers him among the “best lawyers” for Restructuring/Insolvency in Germany.
Mr. Grell is a member of the Board of TMA Germany e.V. and of the Advisory Board of Norddeutsches Insolvenzforum e.V. (Insolvency Forum of Northern Germany). He is also a member of INSOL, the International Bar Association, and the Insolvency and Restructuring Working Group of the German Lawyers’ Association.
He lectures on current insolvency and restructuring issues for a variety of organizations. Mr. Grell has held lectures at Hamburg University and Bucerius Law School as well as at the university in Sofia, Bulgaria. Moreover, he is a regular author of articles on insolvency and restructuring matters published in national and international legal magazines and business newspapers (including The Economist, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Financier Worldwide, Markt & Mittelstand).
Mr. Grell’s experience includes advising:
- Anchorage and Goldman Sachs on investment in Stabilus
- HayFin as lender in connection with the restructuring of A.T.U
- Strategic bidder Chiho-Tiande Group in the acquisition of Scholz Group, acquiring the target by way of a debt-to-equity swap out-of-court
- Carlyle in acquisition and restructuring of Klenk Holz
- Carlyle in Kettler insolvency
- Commerzbank as agent/security agent on HC Starck
- H.I.G. Europe and Anchorage as investors in debt to control restructuring, protective shield/insolvency plan proceedings and sale of walter services Group
- Private equity investors on the intended acquisitions of MIFA Mitteldeutsche Fahrradwerke AG, Scherer & Trier, and Weltbild
- Senior lenders in insolvency and sale of DruckChemie group
- Senior lenders in protective shield proceedings and subsequent sale of the Neumayer Tekfor Group
- UniCredit as agent/security agent in loan-to-own restructuring of Klöckner Pentaplast Group
- Senior lenders in connection with restructuring of battenfeld-cincinatti group