Farrell Malone is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Antitrust & Competition Practice. Mr. Malone’s practice focuses on the antitrust review of mergers and acquisitions, antitrust investigations and enforcement matters, and antitrust litigation in the United States and abroad. He is recognized for his significant experience in handling large and complex global merger reviews before antitrust authorities in multiple jurisdictions worldwide, including in Europe, Brazil, China, and India. Mr. Malone has substantial first-hand international practice experience, including three years practicing competition law in Brussels, Belgium.
Mr. Malone has written several published articles on the antitrust laws, including for Antitrust Magazine, the Competition Policy International Chronicle, and the Journal of Competition Law & Economics. He earned his JD from the Georgetown University Law Center, his MS in Economics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and his BS in Economics and Mathematics from Georgetown University.
Mr. Malone has been recognized as a Future Leader by Who’s Who Legal – Competition.
Mr. Malone’s merger-related experience includes representing:
- Agrium in its US$36 billion merger of equals with PotashCorp
- Nissan in its acquisition of a US$2.2 billion controlling stake in Mitsubishi Motors, winning 14 unconditional clearances globally
- Numerous transactions for globally active private equity clients including The Carlyle Group, GTCR, One Equity Partners, and Warburg Pincus*, among others
- Genband in its US$745 million merger with Sonus Networks
- Checkpoint Systems in its US$443 million sale to CCL Enterprises
- Waste Connections in its US$2.7 billion acquisition of Progressive Waste Solutions
- Cytec Industries in its US$5.5 billion acquisition by Solvay, S.A.*
- Family Dollar in its US$9.3 billion acquisition by Dollar Tree and the related hostile tender offer by Dollar General*
- NYSE Euronext on its contemplated merger with Deutsche Börse (Europe)*
- Lafarge in a UK joint venture with Anglo American (Europe)*
Mr. Malone’s antitrust investigation, enforcement, and litigation experience includes representing and advising:
- American Airlines in antitrust litigation relating to combination fares and alleged price-fixing
- A major Japanese car carrier company in the US Department of Justice (DOJ) criminal antitrust investigation and subsequent civil damages actions*
- A global industrial conglomerate in a company-wide, multi-site antitrust compliance investigation and risk assessment*
- A major book publisher in e-books retailer litigation arising out of DOJ’s investigation of e-book pricing*
- A construction industry executive in a non-public criminal investigation by the DOJ*
*Matter completed while at a previous firm