Betsy Jaffe advises domestic and international clients on their full range of commercial real estate transactions, including financings, joint ventures, commercial dispositions and acquisitions, and leasing matters.
Ms. Jaffe leverages her broad-based experience and sophisticated industry knowledge to advise key players in the real estate market, including banks, debt funds, private investors, real estate operating companies, private equity firms, and foreign investors. Her work encompasses a variety of property types, from hotels and industrial centers to offices, data centers, logistics facilities, mixed-use development projects, assisted living facilities, and multi-family housing. She brings particular experience in helping foreign investors successfully navigate the US real estate market.
Ms. Jaffe’s practice work includes:
- Real estate finance (borrower and lender-side), including mortgage loans, mezzanine financing, and construction lending
- Joint ventures
- Commercial dispositions and acquisitions, including portfolio transactions
- Restructurings and workouts
- Real estate aspects of M&A and secured high yield transactions
A pragmatic problem solver, Ms. Jaffe serves as a go-to advisor to many clients on their full array of transactional matters. In particular, she helps clients achieve their objectives in an expeditious and advantageous manner based on her understanding of the key drivers for both sides in a transaction.
Ms. Jaffe also regularly handles pro bono matters on behalf of clients, including educational institutions.
Ms. Jaffe currently serves as a member of the firm’s Women Enriching Business Committee in New York.
Ms. Jaffe’s experience includes advising:
- An institutional lender in multiple, highly structured loans secured by nonperforming loans, performing loans, and portfolios of fee assets
- A Middle Eastern investor in acquiring the Intercontinental Barclay New York Hotel through a joint venture structure together with acquisition financing and construction financing and structuring for a major hotel renovation
- A Japanese bank in its construction lending platform for various ground up developments throughout the US
- A national hotel owner/operator in its acquisition of a Times Square hotel
- A private equity firm in restructuring its hotel portfolio debt in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic
- The borrower in the acquisition financing of a multi-property mobile home park portfolio
- A joint venture in the refinancing of mortgage and mezzanine loans secured by a luxury hotel in Boston, Massachusetts