David Wallace is a finance counsel in Latham & Watkins' London office and is a member of the Restructuring & Special Situations Practice.
Mr. Wallace has extensive experience advising clients on all aspects of private capital investment, from the deployment of capital through the credit cycle to complex, multi-jurisdictional debt, and equity restructurings. He has an in-depth knowledge of the private capital investor universe and acts for clients including asset managers, credit funds, hedge funds, and other alternative capital providers, as well as corporates, private debt issuers, and private equity sponsors active in the space.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Wallace spent a number of years as an investment professional in the credit team of one of Europe’s largest sub-investment grade asset managers where he gained substantive experience in the structuring, execution, restructuring, and value creation of multiple investments across European and US special situations, strategic credit, and direct lending strategies. Before that, he worked at a leading magic circle law firm in their banking and restructuring and insolvency teams.
Mr. Wallace has experience in a range of sectors including retail, gaming, business services, logistics, manufacturing, energy and renewables, food and beverages, chemicals, and industrials.
Mr. Wallace’s experience includes advising:
- The committee of first and second lien term lenders in relation to the c. US$2 billion financing arrangements and extension of debt facilities of Flint Group, a global supplier to the printing and packaging sectors
- The senior creditors committee in relation to the c. £620 million debt and equity restructuring of Doncasters Group, the UK-headquartered international manufacturer of high-precision alloy components
- The senior secured creditors committee in relation to the potential c. £740 million debt restructuring of PizzaExpress, the UK and international casual dining group
- Addison Lee, the world’s largest managed group transportation service provider, on its recapitalization and sale of the UK business to a consortium of investors, and sale of the US business to a strategic investor
- The creditors committee in relation to the potential c. £200 million debt restructuring of FatFace, a UK headquartered apparel retail business
- A large global asset manager on the structuring, negotiation, and execution of multiple liquid and illiquid stressed and distressed investment opportunities, governance arrangements, value creation initiatives, and exit strategies, as well as the implementation of various confidential European and US restructuring processes via UK schemes of arrangement, CVAs, share pledge enforcements, debt-for-equity swaps, administration sales, and new money rescue financings*
- The lender to a UK waste management company on the restructuring of a unitranche financing, via a pre-packaged administration sale, and subsequent execution of a turnaround and value creation strategy following a debt-for-equity swap*
- The mezzanine lenders to a privately-owned UK specialist education provider on the brink of insolvency in relation to the negotiation and execution of a successful refinancing*
- The unitranche lender to a Spanish ambulance operator on its restructuring via a Refinancing Agreement under Spanish insolvency law*
- An ad-hoc committee of senior bondholders on the complex and multi-jurisdictional €1.2 billion debt-for-equity financial restructuring of listed Spanish and Latin American gaming group Codere S.A. via a scheme of arrangement*
- A co-ordinating committee of senior lenders on the €400 million financial restructuring of Marken, a global specialist healthcare logistics business, via a pre-packaged administration sale*
- A co-ordinating committee of senior lenders on the financial restructuring of Dinosol, a Spanish supermarkets business, via a debt-for-equity swap and subsequent M&A sale process*
- A co-ordinating committee of lenders on various aspects and iterations of the financial restructuring of the Euro Directories Group, a pan-European directories group*
- Almatis Group on its financial restructuring through Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings*
- A co-ordinating committee of lenders on the restructuring of UK retirement homes operator McCarthy & Stone, via a business transfer agreement and scheme of arrangement*
Financing / Direct Lending
- All aspects of investment structuring and execution for one of Europe’s largest and most active direct lending credit funds on over 60 new money private debt investments across the UK and Ireland, Benelux, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain, utilising senior, unitranche, first-out second-out, second lien, mezzanine, and holdco PIK financing structures, and numerous equity and warrant co-invests*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham