David Wallace is a partner in the Finance Department of the London office of Latham & Watkins and is a member of the Restructuring & Special Situations Practice.
Mr. Wallace has extensive experience advising clients on all aspects of private capital investment. He advises on direct lending, private debt and preference equity transactions, opportunistic credit and equity investments, as well as complex, multi-jurisdictional debt and equity restructurings. His clients include issuers and investors alike – asset managers, credit funds, hedge funds, and other alternative capital providers, as well as corporates, private equity sponsors, and management teams.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Wallace spent a number of years as an investment professional in the credit team of one of Europe’s largest sub-investment grade asset managers where he gained substantive experience in the structuring, execution, restructuring, and value creation of multiple investments across European and US special situations, strategic credit, and direct lending strategies. Before that, he worked at a leading international law firm in their banking and restructuring and insolvency teams.
Mr. Wallace has experience in a range of sectors including retail, gaming, business services, logistics, manufacturing, energy and renewables, food and beverages, chemicals, and industrials.
Mr. Wallace’s experience includes advising:
Restructuring & Special Situations
- The creditors committee in relation to the €160 million rescue financing and subsequent c. €1 billion debt and equity restructuring of Naviera Armas, a Spanish passenger and freight ferry services business
- The senior creditors committee in relation to the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) and subsequent c. £740 million debt and equity restructuring via the new UK ‘restructuring plan’ regime, of PizzaExpress, the UK and international casual dining group
- FatFace, a UK headquartered apparel retail business in relation to its ongoing corporate and financing matters and, prior to this, the senior creditors committee in relation to the group’s c. £200 million debt and equity restructuring
- The creditors committee in relation to the c. €290 million recapitalisation and debt and equity restructuring of AS Adventure, an outdoor clothing and equipment retailer with operations spread across Europe
- The creditors committee in relation to the c. US$2 billion financing arrangements and extension of debt facilities of Flint Group, a global supplier to the printing and packaging sectors
- The senior creditors committee in relation to the c. €410 million debt and equity restructuring of Curaeos, a Dutch headquartered pan-European dental clinics business
- The senior creditors committee in relation to the c. £620 million debt and equity restructuring of Doncasters Group, the UK-headquartered international manufacturer of high-precision alloy components
- Alcentra in relation to the c. €155 million debt restructuring and distressed M&A of BVA, the French headquartered global market research and consulting firm
- Addison Lee, the world’s largest managed group transportation service provider, on its recapitalization and sale of the UK business to a consortium of investors, and sale of the US business to a strategic investor
- A large global asset manager on the structuring, negotiation, and execution of multiple liquid and illiquid stressed and distressed investment opportunities, governance arrangements, value creation initiatives, and exit strategies, as well as the implementation of various confidential European and US restructuring processes via UK schemes of arrangement, CVAs, share pledge enforcements, debt-for-equity swaps, administration sales, and new money rescue financings*
- The lender to a UK waste management company on the restructuring of a unitranche financing, via a pre-packaged administration sale, and subsequent execution of a turnaround and value creation strategy following a debt-for-equity swap*
- The mezzanine lenders to a privately-owned UK specialist education provider on the brink of insolvency in relation to the negotiation and execution of a successful refinancing*
- The unitranche lender to a Spanish ambulance operator on its restructuring via a Refinancing Agreement under Spanish insolvency law*
- An ad-hoc committee of senior bondholders on the complex and multi-jurisdictional €1.2 billion debt-for-equity financial restructuring of listed Spanish and Latin American gaming group Codere S.A. via a scheme of arrangement*
- A co-ordinating committee of senior lenders on the €400 million financial restructuring of Marken, a global specialist healthcare logistics business, via a pre-packaged administration sale*
- A co-ordinating committee of senior lenders on the financial restructuring of Dinosol, a Spanish supermarkets business, via a debt-for-equity swap and subsequent M&A sale process*
- A co-ordinating committee of lenders on various aspects and iterations of the financial restructuring of the Euro Directories Group, a pan-European directories group*
- A co-ordinating committee of lenders on the restructuring of UK retirement homes operator McCarthy & Stone, via a business transfer agreement and scheme of arrangement*
- A direct lender in relation to a c. £630 million unitranche financing supporting the acquisition of a leading UK insurance brokerage business
- A direct lender in relation to a £75 million unitranche financing supporting the acquisition of a leading UK wealthtech business
- A direct lender in relation to a €255 million unitranche financing supporting the acquisition of a French headquartered, pan-European packaging group
- Goldman Sachs in relation to the £400 million second lien financing for Stonegate Pubs
- All aspects of investment structuring and execution for one of Europe’s largest and most active direct lending credit funds on over 60 new money private debt investments across the UK and Ireland, Benelux, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain, utilising senior, unitranche, first-out second-out, second lien, mezzanine and holdco PIK financing structures, and numerous equity and warrant co-invests*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham