David Allinson is the Co-Chair of Latham & Watkins' New York Corporate Department and the former Global Co-Chair of the firm's Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions Practices. Mr. Allinson has broad mergers and acquisitions experience, encompassing both public and private acquisitions, dispositions, carve-outs, tender offers, going-private transactions, co-investments, joint ventures, and general corporate matters, including corporate governance and takeover defense.
Mr. Allinson's practice also focuses on representing private equity firms, including ArcLight Capital Partners, The Blackstone Group, Blue Road Capital, Bridgepoint Capital Partners, Carlyle Power Partners, Consonance Capital Partners, Content Partners, CVC Capital Partners, JPMorgan Infrastructure, Morgan Stanley Infrastructure, One Equity Partners, Panda Power Funds, Rhône Capital, and Shamrock Capital. He has also represented a wide range of public and private companies such as AOL, Cogentrix Energy, Covanta Holding Corporation, Fermaca Global, Genband, Global Crossing, ING U.S., Markit, Moneyline Telerate, Noble Environmental Power, Opnext, Inc., Panasonic Corporation, PQ Corporation, Sabre Holdings, US Power Generation, and Westcom Corporation.
In 2017, Mr. Allinson was named to BTI Consulting Group’s Client Service All-Star List, which recognizes leaders in superior client service identified exclusively by corporate counsel. Mr. Allinson was named a Recognized Practitioner by Chambers USA for Private Equity: Buyouts and Corporate/M&A from 2015 – 2018. He was also recognized in the Financial Times 2013 US Innovative Lawyers Report for his representation of The Blackstone Group in its US$1.5 billion equity investment in Cheniere Energy Partners. Over the years, he has garnered recognition as a leading lawyer in IFLR 1000 and noted for his work in private equity transactions in The Legal 500 US and Chambers USA.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Seventeenth Annual Private Equity Forum, PLI Seminar, May 2016
- Sixteenth Annual Private Equity Forum, PLI Seminar, July 2015
- Fifteenth Annual: Private Equity Forum, PLI Seminar, June 2014
- Amendments to Delaware Merger Statutes, Latham Webcast, October 2013
- Fourteenth Annual: Private Equity Forum, PLI Seminar, July 2013
- Thirteenth Annual: Private Equity Forum, PLI Seminar, July 2012
- Leveraged M&A in an Uncertain World – Private Equity Rights and Remedies, June 2012
Mr. Allinson’s experience includes representing:
- ArcLight Capital Partners in a number of transactions, including its US$2.1 billion acquisition with the Blackstone Energy Group of four power plants from American Electric Power, its acquisition of Associated Asphalt and Axeon Marketing, its acquisition of pipeline interests from BP, its acquisition of Hovensa’s terminal facilities, and its acquisition of Leeward Renewable Energy
- The Blackstone Group in its US$1.5 billion investment in Cheniere Energy
- Dubai International Capital in its sale of MAUSER Group to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice for US$1.7 billion
- Consonance Capital Partners in a number of transactions, including its acquisition of Bako Integrated Physician Services, its acquisition of Enclara Health, its acquisition of APS Healthcare, its acquisition of The Keystone Peer Review Organization, and its acquisition of excelleRx and PBH Holding
- Blue Road Capital in its acquisition of Diamond of California from Snyder’s-Lance
- Global Crossing in its US$3 billion stock for stock merger with Level 3
- US Power Generating Company in its sale to Tenaska Capital Management
- ING U.S. in its sale of private equity limited partnership investment interests to Pomona Capital
- Chemlogics Group in its US$1.4 billion sale to Solvay USA Inc.
- One Equity Partners in a number of transactions, including its investment in and sale of Moneyline Telerate, investment in and sale of Savvis Inc. equity, its sale of Westcom Corporation, its investment in Genband Inc., its carve-out acquisition of Nortel Networks carrier VoIP and Application business, its acquisition of Precision Gear, its PIPE investment in and subsequent sale of Clipper Wind Power, its acquisition of East Balt Inc., and its investment in and subsequent sale of Aligned Energy
- Carlyle Power Partners and Cogentrix Energy, Inc. in a number of transactions, including the acquisition of Rhode Island State Energy Center, the carve-out sale of 14 Cogentrix Energy power projects to Energy Investors Funds, and the sale of Cogentrix Energy’s North American power generation assets and power projects development platform to Carlyle Infrastructure Partners
- Shamrock Capital Advisors in its acquisition of Consilio, Inc. and Huron Legal
- Ospraie Special Opportunities Group in a number of transactions, including the creation of the Fermaca Global joint venture, Fermaca Global’s acquisition of Mexican pipeline assets, Fermaca Global’s development of the Chihuahua Pipeline, and the sale of pipeline assets to Partners Group
- Tunstall Healthcare, a unit of Charterhouse Capital Partners, in its acquisition of American Medical Alert Corp., a public company
- Opnext, Inc. in its stock for stock merger with Oclaro, Inc.
- Sabre Holdings in its US$5.4 billion take private sale to Texas Pacific Group and Silver Lake