Dara Denberg is a partner in the New York office of Latham & Watkins. Ms. Denberg is a member of the Real Estate Practice, where she focuses on all aspects of commercial real estate law with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions of real estate-based companies, joint ventures, equity investments, and development.
Ms. Denberg has substantial experience representing clients in mergers and acquisitions involving companies with large portfolios of retail, hospitality, and other asset types and in the formation and negotiation of complex joint ventures for purposes of developing and operating hotels and casinos, medical office buildings, residential developments, assisted living, and skilled nursing facilities.
Ms. Denberg’s work also includes commercial dispositions and acquisitions, sale-leasebacks, and development projects. She has represented both purchasers and sellers in acquisitions and sales of various types of commercial real estate, including retail stores, office buildings, medical office buildings, and hospitality properties and has represented sellers in sale-leaseback transactions. She has also been involved in the structuring of entities and the transfer of corporate and limited liability company interests in connection with real estate transactions.
Ms. Denberg has experience with commercial mortgage loan transactions, restructurings, and workouts. She has represented borrowers and lenders in a variety of secured transactions including securitized financings and syndications secured by a range of property types including hotels, shopping centers, medical office buildings, assisted living facilities, and office buildings. Ms. Denberg has also represented borrowers and lenders in the restructuring and workout of a variety of commercial mortgage loan transactions involving forbearance agreements, deed-in-lieu agreements, and other consensual foreclosure arrangements.
Ms. Denberg also has considerable experience with the real estate aspects of corporate banking and secured high yield transactions. In addition, her experience includes the negotiation of long term ground leases as well as commercial leases and subleases on behalf of both landlord and tenant for office and retail space.
Ms. Denberg’s experience includes representing:
- Acquirer in formation of a joint venture to acquire and operate an office property and proposed residential development in Florida
- Foreign investor in first US transaction to acquire the owner of a marquee hotel in New York City
- Acquirer in formation of a joint venture to acquire and operate a commercial property in California with a REIT investment component
- Lifestyle company in nationwide sale and leaseback of various facilities
- Financial institution on a formation of a spin-off from a joint venture owning various residential and hospitality properties
- Developer in a joint venture to develop land into condominium towers with a retail component
- Financial institution in its US$45.5 million sale of a mortgage loan secured by resort property
- Financial institution investor in multiple joint ventures and development agreements with local homebuilders
- Gaming company in joint venture with investor to own and operate gaming facilities and racetracks in Ohio and related development matters
- Consortium of land developers in successful restructuring of US$200 million loan involving bankruptcy proceedings
- Financial institution in joint venture with national hotel company to acquire and finance the acquisition of a hotel chain with over 200 properties nationwide
- Private equity fund borrower in CMBS financing for acquisition of operator of skilled nursing and assisted living facilities with over 300 locations nationwide
- Joint venture between large US Company and a health care REIT in the portfolio sale of over 80 medical office buildings
- National REIT in the acquisition of 13 shopping centers in New York and New Jersey
- Developer in long term ground lease for development of apartment complex in Manhattan