Clare Nida is an associate in the Litigation & Trial Department of Latham & Watkins and is based in the London office.
Ms. Nida has a broad practice in financial and commercial litigation, and white collar defense and internal corporate investigations.
She has experience with complex cross-border investigations relating to matters before the US and UK governments, in connection with alleged offenses under anti-bribery and corruption laws in both jurisdictions. She has assisted in responding to government subpoenas and conducting internal investigations.
Ms. Nida qualified as a solicitor in 2013. As part of her training, Ms. Nida spent six months in Dubai.
Ms. Nida’s recent experience includes:
- Assisting international corporate clients, including professional advisers and a global healthcare corporation, with internal investigations and investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice and Securities & Exchange Commission, the UK Financial Conduct Authority, and National Crime Agency on matters related to alleged bribery, fraud, and other anti-corruption laws
- Managing an internal investigation for an insurer into anti-trust issues
- Assisting with an internal investigation for a corporation in the UK and China in preparation for a potential IPO
- Advising a global financial institution on potential breaches of UK anti-money laundering legislation
- Acting for an international investment firm defending a clawback claim of more than US$1 billion brought under section 423 Insolvency Act 1986, relating to a financing transaction for one of Greece’s largest telecoms companies, which later went into insolvency; the case was featured in The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases to Watch in 2018
- Advising clients on the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and the transparency in supply chain provisions
- Advising bondholders in relation to restructured Argentine Sovereign debt under deeds governed by English law
- Representing international clients operating in a number of industries such as pharmaceuticals and aerospace on breach of warranty claims including allegations of fraud, both vendor and purchaser side
- Acting for a private equity portfolio company successfully resisting an application for an interim injunction relating to US commercial property and striking out the English court claim
- Advising a national firm of auditors in relation to professional negligence proceedings brought by liquidators arising from management or employee fraud at audit client*
- Acting for an international law firm and successfully resisting a multi-million professional negligence claim arising from alleged failures during the due diligence process in an M&A transaction*
- Acting for a law firm on a number of professional negligence claims relating to tax, trusts, and family law advice*
- Advising clients in relation to financial products entered into in 2007*
- Advising insurers on a range of coverage issues relating to tax schemes; losses stemming from sub-prime mortgage crisis; and professional indemnity policies*
*matter handled prior to joining Latham
Ms. Nida maintains an active pro bono practice and serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s London Women Lawyers’ Group.