Bryant P. Lee has a complex practice involving the US federal income taxation of mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, and capital markets transactions. He focuses on business taxation as it applies to partnerships. Mr. Lee regularly advises clients in the energy sector including publicly traded partnerships (PTPs), master limited partnerships (MLPs), corporations, private equity firms, and investment banks.
Mr. Lee has also represented numerous taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service for various matters, including the representation of MLPs in connection with obtaining private letter rulings (PLRs) relating to qualifying income.
Mr. Lee has been recognized by Chambers USA as an Associate to Watch (2017 – 2018) and as a Texas Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2017 – 2019) (Super Lawyers is a Thomson Reuters service).
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Lee practiced as a certified public accountant (CPA) in the assurance practice of an international accounting firm.
Mr. Lee offered tax structuring advice with respect to the following M&A transactions:
- Andeavor Logistics — US$1.8 billion acquisition of Western Refining Logistics and US$3.8 billion exchange of incentive distribution rights
- Energy Transfer Partners — US$20 billion acquisition by Sunoco Logistics Partners
- Clayton Williams Energy — US$3.5 billion acquisition by Noble Energy
- Affiliates of TPG Capital in the purchase, along with Goldman Sachs, of US$750 million of convertible preferred units of EnLink Midstream Partners
- Rosetta Resources — US$3.9 billion acquisition by Noble Energy
- Hess Corporation — US$5.4 billion midstream joint venture with Global Infrastructure Partners
- Energy Transfer Partners — US$18 billion acquisition of Regency Energy Partners
- Access Midstream Partners — US$50 billion acquisition by Williams Partners
- Counsel to Sponsor, Partnership, or Conflicts Committee in numerous MLP dropdown transactions
Mr. Lee offered tax structuring advice related to the following Capital Markets transactions:
- Solaris Oilfield Infrastructure — US$130 million initial public offering (counsel to the underwriters)
- USD Partners — US$155 milion initial public offering (counsel to the company)
- Valero Energy Partners — US$397 million initial public offering (counsel to the underwriters)
- Phillips 66 Partners — US$434 million initial public offering (counsel to the company)
- Counsel to company or underwriters in numerous follow-on equity offerings, in both primary issuances and secondary sales in bought, marketed, and at-the-market transactions
- Tax Executives Institute — Tax School (Taxation of Upstream and Downstream Partnerships and Transactions), May 4, 2017, Houston, TX
- Tax Executives Institute — Tax School (MLP Dropdowns and Disguised Sale Planning), February 19, 2016, Houston, TX
- Credit Suisse 3rd Annual MLP & Energy Logistics Conference — Structuring Strategies Panel, June 23, 2015, New York, NY
- Deloitte National Publicly Traded Partnership Conference — Legal Perspectives Panel, September 24, 2014, San Antonio, TX
- Credit Suisse 2nd Annual MLP & Energy Logistics Conference — MLP Tax and Accounting Panel, June 11, 2014, New York, NY