Elizabeth (Betsy) Marks is counsel in the New York office of Latham & Watkins. Ms. Marks is a member of the Litigation & Trial Department and her practice is focused primarily on securities and corporate governance litigation, mergers and acquisitions litigation, and complex civil disputes. Ms. Marks regularly practices in both state and federal courts, and has argued before the Delaware Superior Court.
Ms. Marks serves on the firm's EEO Review Board. In 2013, she was recognized by Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" in the New York Metro Area for Securities Litigation.
Ms. Marks began her legal career in the Los Angeles office of Latham. She graduated from UCLA School of Law in 2006, where she was executive editor of the UCLA Law Review. Prior to law school, Ms. Marks worked as an investment banking analyst at Salomon Smith Barney in New York. She received her undergraduate degree from Cornell University in 2001, where she graduated Phi Beta Kappa.
Ms. Marks’ recent representations include the following:
- Won dismissal of securities fraud claims against manufacturer of electric vehicle batteries following disclosure of high-profile product defect and costly product replacement campaign
- Obtained very favorable settlement for large manufacturing client in a breach of contract and fraud litigation arising out of a US$68 million stock purchase agreement
- Representation of a major US telecommunications company in adversary proceeding regarding contract to provide international mobile cellular service
- Representation of a Big Four accounting firm in a US$2 billion securities fraud class action lawsuit challenging the accounting for certain telecommunications assets
- Successfully secured dismissal of an investigation of a major health care company by the Securities and Exchange Commission for potential federal securities law violations