Andrea Monks is a partner in the London office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice. Ms. Monks has significant expertise advising financial institutions on a wide range of domestic and cross-border disputes.
Ms. Monks has particular experience with contentious regulatory investigations, having lead some of the most significant transatlantic investigations for financial services clients in recent years. Ms. Monks works regularly on matters involving the US and UK regulators, and is also familiar with other European and Asian regulators. She regularly counsels banks, corporates, and other bodies in the regulated sector on their anti-money laundering obligations.
Ms. Monks is a leading financial services litigator, with cases across the spectrum of financial services disputes. She is well versed in complex and structured products disputes, trade and asset finance disputes, loan syndicate disputes, and disputes following on from regulatory findings. Ms. Monks has been involved in a number of test cases and leading decisions, and has taken cases to the Supreme Court. She is a committed user of alternative dispute resolution methods.
Ms. Monks also provides general commercial litigation representation and has vast experience of contract disputes, fraud and asset-tracing, joint venture and supply chain disputes, and aviation disputes. Ms. Monks is recognized in major legal guides as a leading individual in banking litigation. Chambers & Partners UK describes her as “a brilliant litigator” who is “very level-headed and measured.”
Ms. Monks’ representative experience includes:
- Acting for a leading bank in a regulatory investigation into the FX Market*
- Defending a leading bank in multiple sets of High Court proceedings involving interest rate swaps*
- Acting for a major investment bank in an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office into allegations of money laundering*
- Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National PLC & Others – test case proceedings in relation to overdraft charges*
- Acting for a leading retail bank in test case proceedings relating to the Consumer Credit Act – Carey & Ors v HSBC & Or*
- ADS Aerospace v EMS Global Tracking – High Court proceedings involving aircraft satellite tracking devices*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham