Zachary Judd’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, both in the US and globally, corporate reorganizations and restructurings, and acquisitions and divestitures through the bankruptcy process and other financially distressed situations.
Mr. Judd has provided mergers and acquisitions counseling to numerous public and private companies, including Catalyst Capital Group Inc, A.O. Smith Corporation, Antares Capital, Stabilis Energy, Entercom Communications and Saputo, Inc. Mr. Judd’s clients also include a broad range of public and private companies in diverse industries, including pharmaceutical/life science, manufacturing and retail, consulting services and logistics and transportation. Mr. Judd also represents financial institutions in connection with various restructuring transactions.
Mr. Judd's M&A transactions include:
- Entercom Communications in its merger with CBS Radio, to create a nationwide preeminent radio platform
- Acquisition by Sumitomo Electric Industries of Keystone Powdered Metal, a manufacturer of powdered metal parts
- Lane Industries Inc., a top federal road and highway contractor, in its US$406 million sale to Salini Impregilo SpA
- Acquisition by Advantage Rent-A-Car, a portfolio company of The Catalyst Capital Group, of E-Z Rent-A-Car, a provider of car rental services.
- Acquisition by Entercom Communications of Lincoln Financial Media, an operator of radio stations in the United States.
- Acquisition by Stabilis Energy of Encana Natural Gas, a distributor of LNG fuel to domestic high-horsepower engine operators.
- Phoenix International Freight Services, Ltd., a provider of international freight forwarding and customs brokerage services, in its US$635 million sale to C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc.
- A.O. Smith Corporation in the US$875 million sale of its Electronic Products Company, a manufacturer and seller of motors for hermetic, pump, distribution, HVAC and general industrial applications to Regal Beloit Corporation
- Acquisition by A.O. Smith Corporation of Lochinvar Corporation, a manufacturer of high-efficiency boilers
- Arteva Specialities, S. del R.L. de C.V., a subsidiary of INVISTA S.à.r.l., in its US$420 million sale of its PET polymer and resins manufacturing facilities to Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
- Marmon Holdings, Inc. and the Pritzker Family Business interests in the over US$8 billion staged sale of Marmon Holdings to Berkshire Hathaway
- Reliant Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a specialty pharmaceutical company, in its US$1.7 billion sale to GlaxoSmithKline
- Koch Industries, Inc.’s US$22 billion acquisition of Georgia-Pacific Corp., the second largest going-private in US history
Mr. Judd's acquisitions and divestitures through the bankruptcy process and other financially distressed situations include:
- Acquisition by Camping World of certain assets of Gander Mountain Company, a retail network of outdoor specialty stores and its Overton’s boating business, via bankruptcy auction
- Acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Advantage-Rent-a-Car by The Catalyst Capital Group pursuant to a sale process under Section 363 of the US Bankruptcy Code
- Graceway Pharmaceuticals, LLC in connection with its US$455 million sale of substantially all of its assets to Medecis Pharmaceutical Corp pursuant to a sale process under Section 363 of the US Bankruptcy Code
- Acquisition of substantially all of the assets of SP Newsprint Co., LLC, a manufacturer of high-quality newsprint and paperboard, by a consortium of financial institutions pursuant to a sale process under Section 363 of the US Bankruptcy Code
- Acquisition of six ethanol plants for US$324 million by a consortium of financial institutions led by Agstar Financial Solutions Group from VeraSun pursuant to a sale process under Section 363 of the US Bankruptcy Code
- Acquisition of Gateway Casinos & Entertainment, the second largest casino operator in Canada, by The Catalyst Group pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act
- Representation of Regent Communications, a radio broadcasting company, in connection with its chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding, including a plan of reorganization pursuant to which Oaktree Capital Management obtained a majority ownership stake