Boston partner honored for being one of the nation’s leading tax litigators and an invaluable resource to companies and high net-worth individuals.
Latham & Watkins brings wide-ranging expertise to the design and implementation of complex land development transactions, public-private partnerships, tax-exempt entity financings, and municipal work-outs and restructurings.
Financing Major Projects
Using both taxable and tax-exempt techniques, Latham helps clients finance all elements of land and project development and redevelopment, including:
- College and university buildings
- Commercial and retail establishments
- Cultural centers
- Hospitals and outpatient medical centers
- Hotels and conference centers
- Infrastructure (such as toll roads, freeway and highway expansions, water and sewer treatment, and desalinization plants)
- Mixed-use projects
- Scientific research facilities
- Sports arenas, stadiums, and other entertainment venues
Latham advises land and project developers, issuers, investment banks, placement and remarketing agents, commercial banks, conduit borrowers, and credit enhancement providers on all aspects of public finance transactions. The firm also offers extensive expertise in US federal and state securities and tax laws relevant to public financings.
A Diversified Platform
Latham’s Public & Tax Exempt Finance Practice assists clients in the following areas:
- Financing for tax-exempt organizations: The group’s lawyers work alongside complementary healthcare and tax-exempt organizations practices to help Latham's not-for-profit clients as well as their underwriters or lenders to gain access to the public securities markets. The group routinely advises on initial financings, conversions, continuing disclosure, refinancing, as well as credit enhancement and/or liquidity facilities.
- Land development and public/private partnerships: Faced with tightening financial markets and shrinking government dollars, Latham provides clients with innovative ways to use public finance techniques and private capital to jointly fund their development needs.
- Municipal work-outs and restructurings: Recognized for restructuring troubled land-secured financings and other distressed municipal securities, Latham regularly represents issuers, insurers, and holders of defaulted (or soon to be defaulted) bonds, as well as potential developers or investors in tax-defaulted property or bonds. In addition, the firm’s securities lawyers provide expertise in the related securities disclosure and enforcement areas that often accompany troubled credits.