Paul R. Lawrence is an associate in the London office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Executive Compensation, Employment & Benefits Practice.
Mr. Lawrence advises private equity funds, hedge funds, investors, lenders, and insurers on UK pensions law in the context of corporate M&A activity, financings and re-financings, restructurings, and pension insurance and risk transfer transactions.
Mr. Lawrence advises on the full spectrum of pensions law issues related to transactional structuring and implementation, risk and regulatory sanctions, including:
- Pensions aspects of corporate M&A transactions
- Transactional due diligence
- Issues related to the UK Pensions Regulator’s “moral hazard” powers including seeking regulatory clearance for transactions where required
- Negotiations and settlement with UK pension plan trustees where corporate activity may necessitate the need for some form of financial mitigation to be provided to a pension plan
- Amendment and restructuring of UK pension arrangements
- UK pension plan risk transfer and insurance transactions
Alongside his pensions law experience, Mr. Lawrence advises clients on UK employment law in the context of corporate transactions, including:
- Recruitment and severance
- Employee relations and consultation
- Works council and Trade Union issues
- Employee transfers
Mr. Lawrence currently serves on the committee of the Central London Group of the Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association and is actively involved in the UK Association of Pension Lawyers.
Mr. Lawrence is a regular speaker at pensions industry events and conferences, including the Pensions Management Institute and the Professional Pensions magazine conference series.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Lawrence practiced for more than five years in the pension funds group of a Magic Circle law firm in London.