Esther Franks leads the Data and Technology Transactions Practice in the firm’s Singapore office, and advises clients on complex cross-border data privacy and regulatory issues with an Asia nexus.
Ms. Franks leverages her technical science background and a sophisticated understanding of global markets to help clients navigate myriad regulations across the healthcare, technology, internet, insurance, financial services, gaming, entertainment, and social media sectors. She advises on:
- Regulations and investigations, including those involving artificial intelligence and platform regulation
- Data privacy compliance with laws across APAC, GDPR, and eprivacy laws
- Strategies for compliant exploitation of data
- Data breaches and reporting
- Technology, intellectual property, and data licensing
- Commercial contracts and collaborations
She has completed secondments to a global social media company’s data protection and cybersecurity teams, where she focused on GDPR compliance and security matters, and to a major global retail company and a multinational consumer goods company, where she acted as legal counsel for their respective global procurement functions, focusing on technology-related procurement and outsourcing.
A recognized thought leader, she is a member of IAPP (the International Association of Privacy Professionals) and holds IAPP/CIPP/E certification. She regularly speaks and writes on topics related to privacy and AI.
Ms. Franks has served on the firm’s Privacy Committee, Security Committee, and Women Enriching Business (WEB) Committee.