Latham & Watkins has been named Law Firm of the Year at Environmental Finance’s 2022 Bond Awards. The annual award program honors organizations, teams, and deals leading the green, social, and sustainability market.
Environmental Finance credited Latham with advising on more than 60 sustainable finance transactions with an aggregate value of over $37 billion throughout 2021, an increase of 236% from 2020, and highlighted several landmark transactions on which the firm advised in 2021, including:
- Enel’s multi-tranche Sustainability-Linked bond (SLB) – the largest-ever Sustainability-Linked transaction in the fixed income capital markets
- The Carlyle Group’s US$4.1 billion ESG-linked credit facility – the largest ever in the US and the first to focus exclusively on advancing board diversity
- Public Power Corporation’s €650 million sustainability-linked senior notes – the first ever high yield sustainability-linked bond in Europe
- EQT’s €500 million 0.875% sustainability-linked bond – the first-ever sustainability-linked bond by a private equity issuer
- Bayfront Infrastructure’s US$401 million infrastructure asset-backed securities with sustainability tranche – the first publicly issued securitized SLB
The publication also noted Latham’s long tenure on the Green Bond & Social Bond Principles Advisory Council, and its membership of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development's 'Shaping Sustainable Finance Policy Working Group'.
Latham is among the top legal advisors to both issuers and underwriters on green, social, and sustainability bonds. In particular, the firm combines broad capital markets and environmental law capabilities to navigate the most complex issues in the evolving sustainable finance market.