Thomas Vogel is a partner in the Corporate Department in the Paris and Frankfurt offices of Latham & Watkins. He has a significant experience in cross-border capital markets, structured finance, and derivatives.
Mr. Vogel regularly acts for global financial services firms, investment managers, hedge and investment funds, sovereign funds, and UHNW individuals. He advises on structured finance transactions, alternative investment structures across asset classes including structured strategic equity solutions, structured fixed-income transactions (delivered in synthetic format through derivatives instruments or in funded format through debt securities), strategic contingent hedging transactions, regulatory capital and synthetic risk transfer transactions, NPL portfolio transfers, synthetic credit, fund, energy, catastrophe and longevity derivatives, structured repo, and stock-lending transactions.
Mr. Vogel also routinely advises corporate issuers and underwriters on international securities offerings, US private placements and 144A resales in the context of standalone debt or hybrid offerings (including equity-linked offerings in the form of convertibles or exchangeables), EMTN or USMTN programs, securitizations (trade receivables), and collateral loan obligations (CLO) transactions.
He advises clients on financial regulatory issues (including under EMIR, MIFID, AIFMD, and Dodd-Frank) and pre-contentious financial disputes in the context of mediation, arbitration and litigation procedures, as well as on internal derivatives compliance programs and derivatives clearing documentation.
Mr. Vogel has acquired years of transactional experience in New York, London, Hong Kong, and Tokyo both as a private practitioner (with a Magic Circle firm) and senior in-house counsel (with a leading US investment bank in New York). In recent years, he has represented clients in multi-billion dollar structured transactions in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
Mr. Vogel is a member of the Frankfurt Bar Association.
- Named a Notable Practitioner
IFLR 1000 France 2020
- Named a Leading Individual
The Legal 500 EMEA 2019
- “A very knowledgeable practitioner”
Chambers Europe 2020
- “Highly experienced”
The Legal 500 EMEA 2017
- “Highly competent and experienced in the field of derivatives”
The Legal 500 EMEA 2016
Mr. Vogel's experience includes advising:
- US investment fund on the purchase of a €600 million portfolio of French non-performing loans (NPLs) (2020)
- French Asset Manager on a €100 million auction-settled credit-linked note issued by a French bank and linked to a linear basket of 5 reference entities (2020)
- US investment bank in €900 million subordinated loan financing eligible for Tier 2 capital treatment (2020)
- US bank on an €200 million accelerated share buy-back in French publicly listed company (2019)
- US investment fund on a €1.6 billion synthetic risk transfer transaction of a portfolio of French consumer loans (2020)
- French corporate on a €800 million “collar” derivative to hedge the sale of a minority stake in another publicly-listed French company (2019)
- US investment bank on a €800 million derivative “call spread” hedging strategy on French listed shares (2019)
- German investment bank on a derivatives strategy (composed of a combination of Put Options and Total Return Swaps) aimed at providing a capital guarantee to managed equity funds offered by a French asset manager (2018)
- Sovereign investor in margin loan over shares of German publicly-listed company (2018)
- French corporate on a €400 million structured share buy-back transaction documented via an equity forward derivative (2017)
- French asset manager on entering into an investment management transaction to manage in excess of €10 billion of financial assets (2017)
- French corporate on a €900 million share buy-back transaction documented via structured mandate for the repurchase of own shares (2017)