Susan Engel is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Securities Litigation & Professional Liability practice.
Ms. Engel's practice covers both trial and appellate litigation in a wide range of substantive areas, including securities law, class action, commercial, and constitutional litigation.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Engel served as a law clerk to Justice Antonin Scalia of the United States Supreme Court and Judge Alex Kozinski of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Ms. Engel’s experience includes advising:
- The world’s biggest social media company in eleven consolidated class actions stemming from a highly publicized data breach that compromised data for approximately 30 million users
- A major online game developer in a pending putative class action alleging injuries from a purported data breach
- The world’s biggest social media company and its officers and directors in defense of securities class actions and shareholder derivative lawsuits following one of the largest initial public offerings in history
- Defending large national fitness company in multiple federal and state class action lawsuits claiming fraud, violations of various state unfair competition, unfair business practices and false advertising laws, among other claims, involving allegations concerning the Company’s sales and advertising practices for prepaid membership agreements
- The world’s biggest social media company in multiple Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class actions
- The world’s biggest social media company in five consolidated nationwide class action lawsuits alleging client’s apps collected call and text log data without consent
- A major global bank in winning unprecedented injunction freezing hundreds of millions of dollars of assets of alleged fraudulent transferees in connection with a lawsuit over a failed securitization*
- A major restaurant chain and its officers and directors in securities class actions and derivative suits stemming from foodborne illnesses, earnings-related matters, and executive compensation*
- An investment bank in a series of nationwide cases alleging market manipulation and antitrust claims involving "naked short selling" resulting in a number of dismissals and favorable settlements*
- Nine investment banks in successful defense on appeal and in the US Supreme Court of dismissal on statute of limitation grounds of dozens of lawsuits alleging illegal short swing profit-taking*
- A coalition of wineries in successful challenge in federal appellate courts and the US Supreme Court of the constitutionality of discriminatory state statutes prohibiting interstate shipment of wine*
- Prime brokerage firms in obtaining dismissal on implied immunity grounds of antitrust class action*
- A for-profit healthcare provider in Medicare "outlier" reimbursement litigation, obtaining summary judgment on all claims and defeating class certification*
- Current and former officers and directors of for-profit healthcare provider in a formal SEC investigation concerning Medicare outlier payments and insider trading allegations*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham