Stefan Patzer is a counsel in the Litigation & Trial Department in the Hamburg office. He focuses on complex commercial, cartel, mass, and insolvency litigation proceedings.
He has broad experience in a variety of different litigation and arbitration matters, including complex commercial litigation, shareholder disputes, mass and antitrust litigation, as well as insolvency and restructuring-related litigation.
Due to his involvement in some of Germany’s largest mass litigation proceedings, Stefan Patzer has vast experience in the courtroom and represented clients in hundreds of court hearings.
Prior to joining Latham & Watkins as an associate in 2010, he worked at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg for several years. During his legal traineeship, he worked in the Hamburg and London offices of another international law firm.
- Commenting several provisions of the German Insurance Contract Act (Versicherungsvertragsgesetz) with respect to life insurance in the commentary of Looschelders/Pohlmann
- Publications on new antitrust disclosure rules (NZKart 2018, 291) and on issues of international jurisdiction in cartel damages cases (NZKart 2019, 538)
- “Legal-Tech-Portale erhalten Rückenwind aus Karlsruhe”, Börsen-Zeitung, 7.12.19
- “BGH-Urteil im Fall LexFox: Legal Tech und Rechtsdienstleistungsgesetz”, Handelsblatt Rechtsboard, 29.11.19
Mr. Patzer’s experience includes, amongst others, advising/representing:
- Air Berlin against Etihad Airways in connection with recourse claims from Air Berlin’s insolvency exceeding €2 billion
- Senior lenders in protective shield proceedings and subsequent sale of the Neumayer Tekfor Group
- UniCredit as an agent/security agent in the loan-to-own restructuring of Klöckner Pentaplast
- Consortium of banks in restructuring of IFA group
- Health care provider in several shareholder litigation proceedings
- Leading sports nutrition company – Advice in relation to sales structure and in a series of disputes with suppliers and service providers
- Insolvency administrator as seller of one of the largest European manufacturers of abrasives in a preliminary injunction proceeding
- Insolvency administrator of a semiconductor manufacturer in connection with claims resulting from a business transfer agreement
- Seller of health care facilities in a post-M&A DIS arbitration
- Private Equity Investor on reinsurance/de-risking concepts with respect to life insurance risks