Samuel Pape is an associate in Latham & Watkins' London office. He is a solicitor advocate and member of the firm’s International Arbitration Practice. His practice focuses on international arbitration, public international law, and complex litigation in England and overseas.
Mr. Pape was ranked as a “Next Generation Lawyer” and “Rising Star Lawyer” by Legal 500 in 2018 and 2019, and is recognized as a “well-regarded associate” for International Arbitration. His cases have featured in The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of the Year.
He has appeared as an advocate in both commercial and investor-State arbitrations, and his experience includes representing companies and sovereigns across a range of industry sectors including energy and natural resources, banking, pharmaceuticals, private equity, telecommunications, and aviation. His cases have included disputes concerning joint ventures, post M&A matters, company law, banking law, environmental issues, public international law, and human rights law. His arbitration experience also includes acting as tribunal secretary in ICC proceedings.
In addition to his arbitration practice, Mr. Pape has extensive experience acting in complex commercial litigation, including transnational tort class actions and company law litigation.
Mr. Pape is the UK Chair of Young Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA) and a member of the Executive Committee of the Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration (AFIA). He is also managing editor of the European Investment Law and Arbitration Review. He is frequently invited to lecture and to chair conferences or panels on subjects relating to international arbitration. He is also co-author of a book chapter on procedural issues related to damages in international arbitration.
Mr. Pape’s experience includes representing:
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc and Shell Petroleum Development Company in their successful defense of transnational human rights and environmental litigations identified by The Lawyer as among the most significant cases of 2016
- The Republic of Colombia in three ICSID arbitrations under the Canada – Colombia Free Trade Agreement relating to the adoption of certain regulatory measures in the gold mining sector intended to protect páramo (moorland) ecosystems
- Mason Capital Management, a privately owned hedge fund sponsor, in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the Republic of Korea under the US - Korea Free Trade Agreement
- A technology company in an ICC arbitration against a key supplier concerning a tortious conspiracy and the non-conformity of products with contractual specification
- An aircraft leasing company in claims against the manufacturer of aircraft in relation to defects in the design of aircraft
- A leading mining company on high value shareholder rights and environmental issues arising from projects in Latin America
- A UK property development group in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Mauritius
- A sovereign party in an investor-State dispute concerning a bank rescue program
- A national oil company in a range of complex lending, PSC, shareholder, and supply disputes valued in the multiple billions of dollars
- Nova Group Investments BV in an ICSID arbitration against Romania concerning the expropriation of a leading insurance company and breaches of FET*
- Mobile TeleSystems in its US$2.5 billion arbitration against Uzbekistan under the Additional Facility of the International Centre for the ICSID, including successfully defending an Article 45(6) application*
- A major oil company in an infrastructure-related ad hoc arbitration*
- A Nigerian offshore oil and gas contractor in an ad hoc arbitration against an oil major*
- Norilsk Nickel and Interros in a dispute with Rusal, including in a US$3 billion LCIA arbitration and related litigations in seven jurisdictions, involving claims for breaches of a shareholders agreement and tortious conspiracy*
- An airline in an LCIA arbitration with a major aircraft lessor concerning alleged breaches of three aircraft lease agreements*
- Daewoo before the Paris Court of Appeal, defeating General Motors' application to annul an ICC award arising from the acquisition of Daewoo’s automotive business*
- An oil and gas major in relation to potential claims arising out of offshore drilling contracts*
- A global pharmaceutical company on worldwide supply chain integrity and severe business interruption issues*
- An aircraft leasing and services company regarding potential liability under aircraft leasing and other financing agreements*
- A high net worth individual in relation to potential shareholder actions and unfair prejudice petitions arising out of an intra-group restructuring*
- A buyer in post-M&A disputes concerning breach of warranties and indemnities in relation to certain assets and accounting irregularities*
- A Latin American consortium in post-M&A disputes arising out of the sale and purchase of certain energy companies and related assets*
- A leading litigation funder regarding investment in potential investor-State arbitration claims*
- A multinational conglomerate regarding the consequences of international sanctions placed on customer contracts across multiple jurisdictions*
- An investment fund in relation to potential claims and injunctive relief against a fund manager for breach of restrictive covenants
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham