Robert Fernandez advises clients on corporate and real estate transactions, with a particular focus on finance, acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, commercial leasing, and real estate development.
Mr. Fernandez, recognized as a leading real estate lawyer in Chicago, advises institutional lenders and investors in commercial real estate financings and transactions, as well as landlords and tenants in commercial leasing matters.
He regularly advises investment funds in drafting and negotiating credit agreements and related security documents for a variety of complex and sophisticated senior debt, mezzanine, and equity financings involving major real estate assets, such as biomedical research facilities, industrial properties, hotels, office buildings, and shopping center developments throughout the US.
Mr. Fernandez represents institutional real estate investors in acquisitions and dispositions of commercial real estate, as well as in real estate joint venture transactions throughout the US. This experience includes a variety of asset types, including high-rise offices, hotels and resorts, multifamily developments, industrial facilities, data centers, medical offices, and retail properties.
He also represents both landlords and tenants in commercial lease negotiations covering office, medical, industrial, educational, and mixed-use properties. His tenant representations include various hedge funds, private equity funds, insurance companies, pharmaceutical and life science companies, and higher education providers.
Mr. Fernandez is a fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, the Vice Chairman of the Downers Grove Economic Development Corporation, and a fellow of Leadership Greater Chicago since 2013. Previously, he served as a member of the Law360 Real Estate Editorial Advisory Board from 2012 to 2014. He also served as a member of the State of Illinois Medical Disciplinary Review Board from 2007 to 2010.
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Most Influential Minority Lawyers in Chicago – Crain’s Chicago Business 2018
- Ranked a top real estate attorney in Illinois and the US by The Legal 500 US 2007-2018
- 40 Under 40 Rising Stars in Chicago Business – Crain’s Chicago Business 2013
- Ranked by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2009
Mr. Fernandez’s experience includes representing:
- A large insurance company in connection with the US$350 million financing of a shopping center in San Antonio, Texas*
- An administrative agent commercial bank on a US$595 million syndicated revolving credit facility secured by 16 shopping centers throughout the US to a NYSE-listed REIT*
- An administrative agent commercial bank in connection with a US$350 million revolving credit facility combined with a US$100 million term loan to a real estate fund*
Acquisitions, Dispositions, and Joint Ventures
- A real estate investment fund in connection with the acquisition, joint venture, and development of a 185-unit luxury high-rise in Dallas, Texas*
- A family office in the acquisition of a 45-story office tower in Chicago, Illinois*
- A developer in connection with the joint venture and development of a hotel in the Fulton Market neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois*
- A financial services firm in connection with a 400,000+ square foot office lease in a newly constructed Class A+ building in Midtown Manhattan*
- A global pharmaceutical and life sciences company in connection with its new 285,0000 square foot, single tenant headquarters lease in Chicago, Illinois*
- A global life sciences company in connection with its 200,000 square foot research and development center in Cambridge, Massachusetts*
- A financial services firm in connection with its 400,000+ square foot global headquarters in Chicago, Illinois*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham