Robert Buday advises clients on an array of complex real estate transactions across industries, including highly structured joint ventures and other investment vehicles.
Drawing on more than three decades of experience, Mr. Buday regularly advises clients on their most significant real estate transactions. He delivers pragmatic counsel to a broad client base that includes publicly traded and privately held domestic and foreign real estate operating companies, developers, real estate investment trusts (REITs), private equity funds, pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, and other institutional investors. His work spans a range of asset classes, including office, retail, industrial, multifamily, hospitality, data centers, and healthcare projects.
Mr. Buday’s practice includes:
- Asset and entity-level transactions, transfers, and recapitalizations of real estate operating companies
- Joint ventures, partnerships, and other investment vehicles
- Single asset and portfolio acquisitions and dispositions
- Development projects
- Borrower-side financing transactions
- Bankruptcy and out-of-court restructurings
Described as “the king of billion-dollar real estate deals,” (Law360), Mr. Buday regularly handles complex, large-scale transactions across the United States. He brings particular experience in joint ventures, including platform joint ventures and other programmatic investment vehicles.
Mr. Buday maintains an active pro bono practice. His work includes advising the Chicago Community Loan Fund on real estate loan transactions for low-income housing programs.
Mr. Buday is a former Global Co-Chair of Latham’s Real Estate Practice and a former member of the Associates Committee.
Mr. Buday's experience includes advising:
- Real estate private equity sponsor, in connection with negotiation and formation of a platform joint venture with a foreign investment bank for the acquisition of industrial properties throughout the US
- Private real estate development company in connection with multiple development joint ventures, corporate governance, corporate debt and capital market transactions
- Real estate private equity sponsor, in connection with negotiation and formation of a platform joint venture with a leading global alternative investment managing company for the acquisition of office and retail properties throughout the southeast
- Leading non-traded real estate investment trust company in connection with its US$6 billion corporate restructuring and successful IPO
- Management sponsored buyout of private real estate operating company owning approximately US$450 million of office and retail properties
- Real estate investment trust in connection with the sale of US$3 billion of assets