Robert Brown advises on compliance with US and international data privacy and security laws and guides clients through the data privacy and security aspects of complex corporate transactions.
Mr. Brown regularly helps clients across all market sectors navigate the business implications of new and evolving data privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and various sector-specific state and federal regulations, such as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Drawing on previous experience as data privacy counsel for a Fortune 500 energy company and as legal counsel for a Fortune 500 technology company, he takes a risk-based approach to:
- Assessing data privacy and security risks
- Designing data privacy compliance programs
- Negotiating data privacy and security contract terms and data processing agreements
- Providing data privacy and security support on corporate transactions
- Responding to requests from data subjects and authorities
- Preparing for and responding to data breaches
- Addressing data privacy issues related to digital marketing, employee privacy, and cross-border data transfers
While working in-house, Mr. Brown developed and managed a global privacy program designed to comply with the GDPR, CCPA, and various other US and international data privacy laws. In this role, he routinely navigated the challenges internal privacy compliance teams face.
Recognized by the International Association of Privacy Professionals as a Privacy Law Specialist, a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US), and a Certified Information Privacy Manager, Mr. Brown often presents on data privacy as a panelist or featured speaker at conferences and forums.