Rachael Astin represents clients in transactional and regulatory work relating to the Entertainment, Sports & Media (ESM) sectors, with a particular focus on digital media and content distribution.
Ms. Astin has more than a decade of experience guiding entertainment, sports, and media clients including film studios, production companies, broadcasters, other content owners and distributors, digital platforms, sports organizations, and investors of all sizes on:
- Complex rights licensing deals, including distribution arrangements, media rights agreements, content commissioning and production, sponsorship and brand management, and other core ESM commercial agreements
- New media sector digital ventures and strategic joint ventures
- Commercial aspects of media sector mergers and acquisitions, investments, and private equity
- Media and platform regulatory advice relating to digital, broadcast, and advertising
- General copyright advice relevant to the ESM sector
She leverages extensive knowledge of a broad range of media sub-sectors— including TV, film, sports, publishing, advertising, video games, and music— to help clients keep up with rapidly-evolving market trends, and futureproof their businesses. Ms. Astin has broad and deep knowledge of rights ownership, distribution, and content monetization that allows her to effectively advise clients on complex transactions across the spectrum of ESM.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Astin worked in a leading international media and technology practice. She has previously worked in the Middle East, having spent 18 months in Dubai, working with the technology, media, and telecommunications team of the largest law firm in the region.
Ms. Astin maintains an active pro bono practice, leveraging her sector expertise, focused on content commissioning, production, and the structuring and launch of new ventures, such as advising Global Citizen on the licensing of its live music concert during the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic.
Ms. Astin is a member of the UK Royal Television Society and Women in Film & Television UK.