Paul Tosetti retired from the partnership on December 31, 2020. He was a partner in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Corporate Department. He served for 10 years as the Co-Chair of the firm's Global Mergers & Acquisitions Practice.
In his practice, Mr. Tosetti focused on the acquisition of companies on both a solicited and an unsolicited basis, and has extensive expertise in the private equity arena.
Mr. Tosetti has over his career been involved in some of the nation’s most complex acquisition transactions, including the representation of Allergan, Inc. in its response to the US$53 billion attempted hostile takeover effort by Valeant Pharmaceuticals (and the associated proxy contest led by Pershing Square and Bill Ackman); the subsequent sale of Allergan to Actavis plc in a US$73 billion transaction; the representation of Questcor Pharmaceuticals in its US$5.6 billion sale to Mallinckrodt plc; the representation of Beckman Coulter in its US$6.8 billion sale to Danaher Corporation; and the representation of Oracle Corporation in its US$8.5 billion acquisition of BEA Systems, Inc.
Mr. Tosetti has also written and lectured on a variety of corporate and securities law matters.
Paul Tosetti has been recognized by numerous national and local publications. Mr. Tosetti was named Dealmaker of the Year by The American Lawyer in 2015 for his representation of Allergan, Inc. in its response to the US$53 billion attempted hostile takeover effort by Valeant Pharmaceuticals (and the associated proxy contest led by Pershing Square and Bill Ackman), and the subsequent sale of Allergan to Actavis plc in a US$73 billion transaction. Mr. Tosetti was also selected as a World Leading Lawyer in the 2015 edition of Who's Who Legal: Corporate - M&A and Governance; named the Best Lawyers’ 2013 Los Angeles Mergers & Acquisitions Law Lawyer of the Year; cited by Best Lawyers In America as 2011 Los Angeles Corporate Governance and Compliance Lawyer of the Year; consistently ranked in Band 1 by Chambers USA and as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global for Corporate M&A; and was named one of the country's leading 500 attorneys by Lawdragon Magazine in 2009. Mr. Tosetti has also practiced in the area of sports and entertainment law, with experience ranging from the negotiation of television contracts to the organization of new sports leagues.
Mr. Tosetti's transactions include representing:
- Allergan in the US$53 billion hostile takeover attempt by Valeant Pharmaceuticals (and associated proxy contest led by Pershing Square and Bill Ackman)
- Beckman Coulter, Inc. in its acquisition of the lab-based diagnostics business of a Japan-based manufacturer
- Oracle Corporation in its acquisition of BEA Systems, Inc.
- URS Corporation in its acquisition of Washington Group International, Inc.
- Frank Stewart, Jr. in the sale of Stewart Enterprises, Inc. to Service Corporation International
- Monoprice, Inc. in its sale to Blucora, Inc.
- Realty Income Corporation in its acquisition of American Realty Capitol Trust Inc.
- Beckman Coulter, Inc. in its sale to Danaher Corporation
- California Pizza Kitchen, Inc. in its sale to an affiliate of Golden Gate Capital
- Sonova Holding AG in its acquisition of Advanced Bionics Corporation
- Keystone Automotive Industries, Inc. in its acquisition by LKQ Corporation
- Jack Nicklaus and Golden Bear International, Inc. in the negotiation of a strategic relationship with New York Private Bank and Trust
- Arden Realty, Inc. in its sale to General Electric Commercial Real Estate
- Intermix Media, Inc., the parent company of MySpace.com, in its sale to News Corp.
- Telemundo Group, Inc. in connection with its sale to a consortium of four firms
- Saban Capital Group in connection with its acquisition of a majority of the voting rights in Pro Sieben Sat. 1 AG, the largest private television network in Germany
- World Cup USA 1994, Inc., the organization responsible for coordinating the international soccer championships, which were held in America in 1994 for the first time
- Major League Soccer, LLC, in its organization