US-based tax partners are recognized in Turnarounds & Workouts’ special report.
Nicholas DeNovio, former Global Chair of Latham & Watkins’ International Tax Practice, is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office and member of the Audit Committee.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. DeNovio served as Deputy Chief Counsel for the IRS (2002 – 2005).
Throughout his career, Mr. DeNovio has represented large US and non-US-based multinational corporations on complex cross-border transactions involving:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Group structuring
Mr. DeNovio began his career in private practice in New York City and became a partner at a global law firm. He is a member of the board for the George Washington University/IRS International Tax Program and served as Chair of the University of Chicago’s Federal Tax Conference from 2012 – 2014.
Mr. DeNovio is a renowned speaker and writer for organizations such as Tax Executives Institute (TEI), Practicing Law Institute (PLI), International Fiscal Association (IFA), National Foreign Trade Council (NFTC), and various bar associations. He has authored and spoke on an array of tax related topics including:
- Co-author, “Cross-Border Financing: Taxpayer Wins on Characterization of Intercompany Debt Transaction,” Client Alert, Aug. 2018
- Co-author, “Cross-Border M&A: Putting the Recently Finalized US Inversion Regulations into Context Following US Tax Reform,” Client Alert, Jul. 2018
- Co-author, “IRS Launches New Compliance Campaigns on Repatriation of Foreign Earnings and Virtual Currency,” Client Alert, Jul. 2018
- Co-author, “New Guidance Issued for Transition Tax on Deferred Foreign Earnings,” Client Alert, Apr. 2018
- Co-author, “Multinational Financial Groups After the U.S. Tax Reform: Selected Inbound and Outbound Issues,” Client Alert, Apr. 2018
- Speaker, “Navigating Tax Reform: A Plain English Discussion of Financing, M&A Transaction, and Disclosure Issues,” Webcast, Jan. 2018
- Co-author, “US Tax Reform: Key Business Impacts, Illustrated With Charts and Transactional Diagrams,” Client Alert, Jan. 2018
- Speaker, “US Tax Reform: Understanding the Proposals and Executing Transactions in the Face of Uncertainty,” Webcast, Feb. 2017
- Co-author, “Treasury Issues Final and Temporary Regulations on Related-Party Debt Instruments,” Client Alert, Oct. 2016
- Co-author, “10 Steps to Mitigate EU State Aid Exposure on Tax Arrangements,” Client Alert, Sep. 2016