Michael Sullivan has represented both publicly and privately held companies in a broad range of complex transactions including public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities, tender offers, venture financings, joint ventures, mergers, stock purchases, and asset purchases. Mr. Sullivan has also represented investment banks in public financing transactions and private equity funds in various mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Sullivan has been recognized by The Legal 500 US 2018 for his work with REITs. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Sullivan clerked for Chief Judge William J. Zloch of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Corporate Law and Governance Developments," RR Donnelley SEC Hot Topics Institute, September 2016
- Speaker, "Business Structure and Tax Strategies for Start-ups," Association of Bioscience Financial Officers (ABFO) National Conference, May 2016
- Speaker, "Capital Markets," RR Donnelley's SEC Hot Topics Institute, May 2014
- Mr. Sullivan regularly speaks and presents on M&A topics for the San Diego Chapter of Association of Corporate Counsel
Mr. Sullivan has experience in a variety of industries, including the life sciences, cleantech, and technology. His recent experience includes representing:
- Vista Oil & Gas in its US$650 million global initial public offering, the first SPAC IPO in Latin America and the first energy exploration and production IPO in Mexico, which included a private placement of the shares in the United States and outside Mexico – Named “Financing Innovation of the Year” by Latin Finance (2017)
- Ignyta, Inc., a precision oncology biotechnology company, in its US$1.7 billion sale to Roche Holdings
- Advantar Laboratories, a contract analytical laboratory specializing in pharmaceutical research, development and clinical packaging, in its sale to Eurofins Scientific
- Ellipse Technologies, a developer of minimally invasive treatments for spinal deformities, in its US$410 million sale to NuVasive
- Ambrx, a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery, development and commercialization of protein-based drugs, in its sale to a consortium of Chinese companies
- ChemoCentryx, Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, in its initial public offering on the NASDAQ Global Select Market
- Prometheus Laboratories, Inc., a marketer and promoter of pharmaceutical products and complementary diagnostic testing services, in its acquisition by Nestlé Health Science US Holdings, Inc.
- Various underwriters in the follow-on and financing transactions of Acadia Pharmaceuticals, Cardiome Pharma, Clovis Oncology and Neovasc
- WHI, Inc. in its acquisition by The Chip Conley Company, an operator of Fest300
- Red Hawk Advisors, LLC in its acquisition of the image sharing online community “weheartit.com”
- Visual Sciences, Inc., a leading provider of real-time analytics applications, in its acquisition by Omniture, Inc. in a cash and stock merger valued at approximately US$395 million
- The underwriter in the US$483 million initial public offering and US$387 million follow-on offering of Solera Holdings, Inc., a provider of software and services to the automobile insurance claims processing industry, on the NYSE
- AeroVironment, Inc., a designer, developer and manufacturer of unmanned aircraft systems and efficient electric energy systems, in its US$131 million initial public offering on the NASDAQ Global Market
- Infraestructura Energética Nova (IEnova), one the largest private energy companies in Mexico and the first energy company to list shares on the Mexican Stock Exchange, in its:
- US$598 million global initial public offering, including a private placement of the shares in the United States and outside Mexico
- US$852 million acquisition of the 252-MW Ventika wind power generation facilities – Named “Private Equity Deal of the Year” by Latin Finance (2017)
- US$1.6 billion follow-on equity offering, the largest equity offering in Latin America in 2016 – Named “Follow-On Equity Offering of the Year” by Latin Finance (2017)
- US$840 million dual-tranche sale, the companies’ debut offering on the international debt capital markets
- Sempra Energy, an NYSE listed company, in acquiring, for approximately US$875 million, AEI's stake in two South American utilities jointly owned with AEI – Named a Deal of the Year" by both LatinFinance and EuroMoney (2011)
- NRG Solar, a subsidiary of NRG, which owns or has partial investment in more than 150 renewable energy projects totaling approximately 4,500-MW (AC) of solar and wind capacity in operation throughout North America, in its acquisition of:
- Spanish Town Estate Solar 1, a 4,998-kW DC solar generation project being developed in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
- Kansas South Solar Project, a 20-MW (AC) solar project of Recurrent Energy, a provider of alternative energy resource
- Guam Solar Project, a 25.65-MW (AC) solar project of Quantum Guam Power Holdings, a provider of alternative energy resources
- American Assets Trust, Inc., a real estate investment trust, in its formation and US$648 million initial public offering on the NYSE (the largest US REIT IPO of 2011 and largest US REIT IPO since August 2009)
Mr. Sullivan also has advised corporate clients on a wide range of general corporate matters, including: recapitalizations, fund formation, securities law, stock market listing obligation compliance issues, and entity formations.