Michael E. Dillard is a partner in the Houston office of Latham & Watkins, a member of the firm’s Corporate Department, and Co-Chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice. Mr. Dillard's practice encompasses all aspects of corporate and securities law, with special emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and securities offerings for companies in the energy industry.
Mr. Dillard has extensive experience in:
- Acquisitions and divestitures of both public and private companies
- Public and private offerings of equity and debt securities
- Private equity backed transactions
During his career, Mr. Dillard has been involved in M&A transactions valued in excess of US$200 billion, including nine multibillion-dollar transactions. In the energy industry, he has been involved in M&A transactions valued in excess of US$100 billion. In addition, Mr. Dillard has been involved in the issuance of debt and equity securities valued in excess of US$50 billion, both publicly and pursuant to Rule 144A, on behalf of both issuers and underwriters.
In 2018, Mr. Dillard was named to BTI Consulting Group’s Client Service All-Star List, which recognizes leaders in superior client service identified exclusively by corporate counsel. Mr. Dillard was recognized as Band 1 by Chambers USA 2016 – 2020 in the practice of Corporate/M&A and has been recognized as one of the leading Corporate/M&A lawyers in Texas by Chambers USA 2013 – 2020. He was also recognized by Chambers USA 2013 in the practice of Capital Markets: Debt & Equity. Mr. Dillard has been recommended in The Legal 500 US 2012 and 2020 and named a Texas Super Lawyer in Texas Monthly magazine 2003 – 2006 and 2008 – 2019 (Super Lawyers is a Thomson Reuters Service printed in Texas Monthly).
- Oil & Gas Finance and M&A Summit — Panel Discussion on “M&A Trends: What's New in Joint Ventures, Private Equity Sponsors and Public Companies, including Shareholder Activism in the Energy Industry,” sponsored by Tudor Pickering Holt & Co and Latham & Watkins LLP, February 26, 2014, Denver, Colorado
- KPMG Energy Symposium — Presentation on “Energy M&A Update” September 11, 2014, Houston, Texas
Mr. Dillard's experience includes advising:
- QEP Resources, Inc. in its US$735 million sale to Aethon Energy of QEP’s upstream assets and midstream business located in the Haynesville Shale
- Rosetta Resources Inc. in its US$3.9 billion sale to Noble Energy
- Linn Energy in its US$1 billion joint venture with Quantum Energy Partners, to form QL Energy, an oil and gas exploration and production company
- BreitBurn Energy Partners L.P. in its US$3 billion acquisition of QR Energy, LP
- Linn Energy LLC in its US$4.3 billion acquisition with LinnCo, LLC of Berry Petroleum Company, an independent oil & natural gas production and exploration company
- Plains Exploration & Production Company in its US$9 billion acquisition by Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.
- Questar Corporation in its US$5 billion spin-off to its shareholders of QEP Resources, a natural gas and oil exploration and production and midstream field services company
- Plains Exploration & Production Company in its US$450 million sale of Plains Offshore Operations, Inc., the US-based Gulf of Mexico assets of Plains Exploration & Production Company