Maria Pilar Hoye is a partner and the Chair of the Environment, Land & Resources Department in Latham’s Los Angeles and San Francisco offices. Her work in this area includes advising clients on land use, environmental, and regulatory issues associated with entitling, developing, remediating, and managing complex developments in California.
Ms. Hoye focuses her practice on obtaining land use entitlements and environmental approvals for major real estate and development projects in California. She advises clients involving planning and zoning regulations as well as related environmental issues, including state and federal land use and environmental laws. Ms. Hoye also advises on the evaluation of potential environmental liabilities, environmental regulatory compliance, and negotiation of environmental agreements for real estate and other business transactions.
Ms. Hoye is a former adjunct professor of Environmental Law at the University of Southern California Law School. She is a former member of Latham’s Training and Career Enhancement, Diversity, and Finance Committees.
Ms. Hoye is on the Board of Valley Industry Commerce Association and on the Board of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, and she previously served on the Board of PUENTE Learning Center.
A selection of Ms. Hoye’s recent relevant transactions includes advising:
- NBCUniversal in obtaining approvals for its US$1.6 billion long-term master plan for its Universal Studios and theme park site in the County and City of Los Angeles
- Paramount Studios in obtaining the local land use approvals for Paramount’s 25-year master plan for its Hollywood studio
- Chargers Football Company in connection with its proposal for an NFL football stadium in Carson, California, including securing the necessary land use and regulatory entitlements and approvals, and a proposed stadium initiative in San Diego, California
- Playa Capital Company in connection with regulatory approvals for the Playa Vista project, one of the largest residential and mixed use projects in West Los Angeles
- The developer in securing approval of a high-rise, mixed-use residential and commercial development in Los Angeles
- Simon Property Group in a joint venture to develop a shopping center in Carson, California, including acquisition of real property interests from a Joint Powers Authority and development approvals from the City and the Joint Powers Authority
- A non-profit in its lease of property from the County of Los Angeles for development of a biomedical research facility
- The developer in obtaining approval of a senior housing facility in the City of Los Angeles
- Pacific Maritime Association in its lease of property from the Port of Los Angeles for development of a dispatch hall, including advising on remediation requirements of the Regional Water Quality Control Board
- A confidential party in connection with the agreement between the City of Inglewood and the Los Angeles Clippers to build a new arena in Inglewood, California
- World Oil in connection with disposition and development of a former refinery
- A non-profit in its proposed lease of property from the County of Los Angeles for a sports and academic campus located on a former landfill site