Marc Makary is counsel in the Dubai office of Latham & Watkins. He is a member of the Finance Department and Project Development & Finance Practice.
Mr. Makary’s practice focuses primarily on the representation of commercial and investment banks, investment firms, and other financial institutions as well as sponsors and developers in connection with domestic and cross-border construction financings, acquisition financings, and other infrastructure-related secured lending transactions, including gas pipelines, power plants, and renewable energy projects.
Mr. Makary’s experience also includes advising clients on procurement and construction agreements, operation and maintenance agreements, concession agreements, supply agreements, and other project documents in the oil and gas, power and water, communications, and infrastructure industries.
Mr. Makary’s experience includes advising:
- The Carlyle Group in connection with its US$490 million acquisition financing of the Rhode Island State Energy Center (RISEC), a 583 MW natural-gas fired power plant located in Johnston, Rhode Island, from subsidiaries of Entergy Corp, involving US$375 million secured loan facilities
- The sponsor on its US$350 million financing, ABL upsize and terminal services arrangements in connection with the acquisition by the sponsor of an asphalt production and terminal services company
- The sponsors in connection with the development, construction, financing, and operation and maintenance of a US$300 million terrestrial and subsea fiber optic cable system in Alaska
- The lenders in connection with the debt US$1.7 billion restructuring of a leading US based oil and gas producer
- The sponsors in connection with the US$600 million and US$435 million financings of the development, construction, operation, and maintenance of a 450 kilometers and a 378 kilometers natural gas pipelines in Mexico
- The sponsors in connection with an estimated US$1.7 billion project financing of the Az-Zour North IWPP (approximately 1500 MW capacity) in the State of Kuwait
- The sponsor in connection with the US$252 million mezzanine financing for the development of power projects in Chile
- The sponsor and purchaser on the concession agreement, services agreements and terminal lease agreements in connection with the acquisition of an oil refinery and port terminal in the US Virgin Islands
- The lead developer on the joint build and development of a submarine fiber optic cable system from the US to Denmark, with landings in Ireland and Norway
- The sponsors in connection with the construction and operation and maintenance arrangements related to a 60,000 bpd US$250 million advanced wastewater treatment facility in West Virginia
- The owner in connection with a concession agreement, construction contract and operation, and maintenance contract for a seawater reverse osmosis plant in the Aramco-Dow Chemical Petrochemicals Complex in Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia