Manny Abascal is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and former Co-chair of its Litigation & Trial Department. Mr. Abascal has extensive civil and criminal trial experience handling major, high profile matters for clients in several industries.
Mr. Abascal has handled a wide variety of litigation matters, including multiple criminal and civil jury trials; SEC proceedings; criminal, civil, administrative and internal investigations; and testimony before Congress and state legislative bodies. He has represented major clients in healthcare, pharma, financial institutions, financial services, energy, entertainment, accounting, food and agriculture, e-commerce and technology.
Prior to joining Latham & Watkins, Mr. Abascal was an Assistant United States Attorney in Los Angeles, where he prosecuted and tried numerous and diverse business and financial fraud cases.
Mr. Abascal's representative trial engagements include:
- Hired three weeks before trial to act as lead counsel against several nationally prominent law firms in a dispute over control and ownership of a large, privately held financial services company. He obtained a favorable settlement preserving control and leading to a nine figure payment for his client.
- Lead counsel for the plaintiff in an arbitration involving a breach of contract that resulted in an mid-eight figure award for his client.
- Lead plaintiff's counsel on behalf of a publicly traded nutrition company in a complex jury trial involving adulterated products. He was engaged two days before trial and obtained a favorable jury verdict.
- Co-lead counsel in the successful defense of a Tenet Healthcare subsidiary in two federal criminal trials, one lasting 7 months and the other 11 months. Both cases ended in hung juries and the government ultimately dismissed the criminal case.
- Represented a large utility in criminal charges relating to a significant release that received national attention. Obtained and defended settlement against several challenges.
- Represented publicly traded energy company in one of largest FCPA investigation in DOJ history. Secured most favorable settlement among parties involved.
- Represented publicly traded medical device manufacturer in investigation relating to foreign corruption. No charges filed.
- Representation of Chairman and CEO of large, nationwide and publicly traded financial institution specializing in originating subprime loans in an SEC and DOJ investigation relating to accounting and disclosure fraud. No charges filed.
- Representation of publicly traded energy and technology company in state, federal and legislative investigations involving alleged market manipulation. No charges filed.
Mr. Abascal has been recognized by several professional and bar organizations for his extensive history of pro bono and community service, including his service as Founding Chairman of the Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital, a safety net not for profit hospital serving South Los Angeles.