Luke Bergstrom is Global Co-Chair of Latham's Mergers & Acquisitions Practice and a partner in the Corporate Department of the firm's Silicon Valley and San Francisco offices. Mr. Bergstrom practices primarily in the mergers and acquisitions area, where he regularly advises both private equity and corporate clients.
Mr. Bergstrom has represented public and private buyers and targets in a broad range of industries, including:
- Information technology - systems & solutions and semiconductors
- Internet & digital media
- Life sciences, including medical devices
Mr. Bergstrom is a member of the American Bar Association as well as a member of the ABA’s Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, and the Committee’s M&A Market Trends Subcommittee.
Mr. Bergstrom's recent experience includes transactions in the following industries:
Information Technology - Software & Solutions and Semiconductors
- Intuit Inc., a provider of business and financial management solutions for small businesses, consumers, and accounting professionals, in its:
- US$1.025 billion sale of Digital Insight, Intuit's Financial Services division, to Thoma Bravo
- US$423 million acquisition of Demandforce, Inc.
- US$360 million acquisition of Check
- US$170 million acquisition of Mint Software Inc.
- US$170 million acquisition of Homestead Technologies Inc.
- US$91 million acquisition of MedFusion, Inc. and subsequent sale
- Sale of Quicken Business Unit to HIG Capital
- Sale of Quickbase Business Unit to Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe
- Monsanto Company, an agricultural biotechnology company, in its US$930 million acquisition of the Climate Corporation
- NetApp Inc., a provider of network data storage and management solutions that enable virtualization, cloud computing, and big data storage efficiency, in its:
- US$60 million acquisition of Akorri Networks, Inc.
- Acquisition of Bycast Inc.
- US$160 million acquisition of Topio
- Calix, Inc., a supplier of telecommunications access equipment for service providers, in its US$171 million acquisition of Occam Networks, Inc.
- Avago Technologies Limited, a provider of analog semiconductors, custom chips, radio-frequency, and microwave components, in its:
- US$37 billion acquisition of Broadcom Corp.
- US$6.6 billion acquisition of LSI Corporation
- US$400 million acquisition of CyOptics
- US$240 million sale of its Printer ASICs business to Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
- US$70 million sale of its CMOS image sensor business to Micron Technology
- IXYS Corporation, a provider of power semiconductors, radio frequency power semiconductors, and digital and analog integrated circuits, in its US$50 million acquisition of the 4-/8-bit microcontroller business of Samsung Electronics
Internet & Digital Media
- Open Table Inc., a web-based service provider of restaurant reservations, in its US$2.6 billion sale to the Priceline Group
- Twitch Interactive, Inc., an operator of a live video platform for online gaming, in its US$970 million sale to Amazon.com
- Seamless North America, LLC, a leading provider of mobile and online portals that provide restaurant information and services, in its merger with GrubHub
- Afferent Pharmaceuticals, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, in its acquisition by Merck
- MAP Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a drug and pharmaceutical company, in its US$958 million sale to Allergan, Inc.
- Labrys Biologics, Inc., a biotechnology firm developing antibody treatments for chronic migraines, in its US$825 million sale to Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- FerroKin BioSciences, Inc., a biotechnology company, in its US$325 million sale to Shire plc
- KAI Pharmaceuticals, a privately held pharmaceuticals company, in its US$315 million sale to Amgen
- Complete Genomics, Inc., a developer of DNA sequencing products and services, in its US$117 million sale to BGI Shenzhen
- Transcept Pharmaceuticals, a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of proprietary products in the neuroscience field, in its reverse merger with Paratek Pharmaceuticals
- Sorin S.p.A., a global medical device company, in its US$2.7 billion merger with Cyberonics
- Ulthera, a medical device company focused on the development and commercialization of various technologies for aesthetic and medical applications, in its:
- US$600 million sale to Merz
- Acquisition of Cabochon Aesthetics
- Sadra Medical, Inc., a company pioneering new therapies to minimize the invasiveness of treating aortic valve disease, in its US$450 million sale to Boston Scientific Corporation
- Maya Medical, a nascent hypertension product company, in its US$230 million sale to Covidien
- Zonare Medical Systems, a US based ultrasound company, in its US$105 million sale to Mindray Medical International Limited
- FlowCardia, Inc., a California medical device company, in its sale to C. R. Bard, Inc.
- Hotspur Technologies, Inc., a developer of catheter-based technologies, in its sale to Teleflex Medical, Inc.
- Harpoon Medical, a medical device company focused on the treatment of heart disease, in its negotiation with Edwards Lifesciences of a structured financing and option to purchase Harpoon
- Kalila Medical, a medical device company developing steerable catheter technologies for atrial fibrillation and other electrophysiology procedures, in its sale to Abbott Laboratories
Mr. Bergstrom's private equity experience includes:
- Bridgepoint Advisers, in its acquisition with Summit Partners of Calypso Technology, a provider of financial market software solutions
- Data Device Corporation (DDC), a portfolio company of Behrman Capital, in its US$1 billion sale to TransDigm Group Incorporated
- PRA Holdings, Inc., a clinical research organization and portfolio company of Genstar Capital LLC, in its sale to Kohlberg, Kravis Roberts & Co.
- Encore Consumer Capital, in its acquisition of:
- The Isopure Company, LLC., a US-based provider of premium branded sports nutrition products, and subsequent US$153 million sale to Glanbia plc
- Aidells Sausage Company, Inc., a marketer of branded gourmet sausages, meatballs, and other prepared protein products, and subsequent US$87 million sale to Sara Lee Corp
- Juice Tyme, Inc., a leading manufacturer and marketer of shelf-stable, bag-in-box juice and beverage concentrates, and subsequent sale to Highlander Partners, L.P.
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co (KKR), in the US$2.6 billion acquisition by KKR and Silver Lake Partners of Agilent Technologies, Inc.'s Semiconductor Products Group, which created the largest privately held independent semiconductor company in the world.