Kuan Huang is a partner in the Complex Commercial Litigation Practice. Since joining Latham in June 2017, Mr. Huang has tried numerous cases to verdict — winning US$1.8 billion in combined damages for his clients in plaintiff-side verdicts, and achieving complete dismissal either at or before trial of virtually all claims asserted against his clients in defense-side cases.
Mr. Huang's practice covers a broad range of matters, including commercial contracts, copyrights and trademarks, trade secrets, technology licensing, bankruptcy, securities, accounting, employment, and broker-dealer related disputes.
Mr. Huang's experience representing:
- UBS Financial Services, Inc., in a New York state court action against Highland Capital Management arising out of a failed multi-billion dollar CLO2 securitization. Result: After a three-week trial, the Court entered a complete verdict in UBS’s favor, denying all claims asserted by Highland and awarding UBS US$1.05 billion — one of the largest breach of contract damages awards in New York state court history.
- DXC Technology, Co., in a major accounting arbitration against Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Co. relating to the spin-off and merger of HPE’s enterprise IT services company. Result: After a two-week hearing, the Panel issued a unanimous award in DXC’s favor, denying all claims and defenses asserted by HPE and granting DXC US$667 million in damages.
- US Soccer, in a highly publicized federal court action filed by the US Women’s National Soccer Team for alleged violations of the Equal Pay Act. Result: Just weeks after Latham took over the case from prior counsel, the Court entered summary judgment in US Soccer’s favor, dismissing all of the Equal Pay Act claims in full and as a matter of law.
- SAP SE, in a Philadelphia state court action against ANCILE Solutions, Inc. relating to the licensing of educational software for SAP’s ERP software platform. Result: The Court entered summary judgment in SAP SE’s favor, dismissing ANCILE’s principal breach of contract claim for over US$500 million.
- Credit Suisse, in a series of litigations relating to a fintech joint venture company. Result: Complete dismissal of all claims asserted to date in three different actions.
- Dex Media, in a series of copyright and DMCA disputes in Delaware and Florida federal court in which plaintiffs have demanded more than US$1 billion in combined damages. Result: Complete dismissal of every case to be decided to date, and multiple fee awards on Dex Media’s behalf.