Ken Parsigian, a partner in the firm’s Litigation & Trial Department and Chair of the Boston Litigation & Trial Department, represents clients in both civil and criminal matters, with a primary focus on complex mass tort and RICO litigation. He advises clients on compliance with state, federal, and international laws and regulations concerning product safety, import-export procedures and anti-money laundering programs.
Mr. Parsigian recently successfully tried two novel class actions and has argued appeals in the First, Second, Third, Sixth and Eleventh Circuits, as well as in state appellate courts in Massachusetts, Florida, Tennessee, Delaware and Michigan. His representative mass tort client base has included Philip Morris USA, Philip Morris International, Eli Lilly, Estee Lauder, Playtex, Curtice Burns, CBS, Zoll Medical, CR Bard and Boston Scientific.
Prior to Latham, Mr. Parsigian was Associate Independent Counsel in the Iran Contra investigation conducted by Independent Counsel Lawrence Walsh, where he headed the investigation of former US Attorney General Edwin Meese. After graduating law school, he clerked for Hon. Stephen G. Breyer on the US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
In 2017, Mr. Parsigian was named to the Legal 500 Hall of Fame. In 2016, Law360 named Mr. Parsigian a 2016 MVP for his notable legal work in the Product Liability category. Mr. Parsigian has also been awarded with the Commitment to Justice Award by the Youth Advocacy Foundation and the American Bar Association’s John Minor Wisdom Award for Professionalism and Public Service. He is regularly recognized as a leading lawyer in Chambers USA, The Legal 500, The Best Lawyers in America, The Lawdragon 500, The World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers and The World’s Leading Product Liability Lawyers.
Mr. Parsigian is a member of the Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC) and has spoken and authored articles on mass tort issues for the Manhattan Institute, ATRA, Defense Research Institute and Washington Legal Foundation, and taught Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education courses in civil litigation and professional responsibility classes at Boston University School of Law. He also serves on the Board of the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights.
Mr. Parsigian's relevant experience includes:
- Winning a jury verdict in the first class action for medical monitoring for lung cancer screening
- Defeating a US$2.1 billion damages claim in a consumer class action trial, where plaintiffs won only a statutory award of US$25 per person
- Winning a jury verdict in a four-month trial by 57 hospitals seeking more than US$7 billion from the tobacco industry
- Serving as Lead Counsel for Philip Morris USA and Philip Morris International, and National and International Coordinating Counsel for the tobacco industry in more than 60 mass tort and RICO suits across the country and internationally, involving claims for more than US$100 billion in damages, including nationwide class actions and other aggregated suits by government, union health and welfare funds, and insurers seeking to recover medical costs for injuries suffered by hundreds of thousands of individual members and patients
- Winning dismissals and appeals for Philip Morris in multi-billion dollar suits by foreign governments seeking to recover the costs of providing medical treatment to millions of their citizens who smoke, nationwide consumer class actions based on claims of deceptive marketing, and government suits seeking to recover lost tax revenues based on claims of smuggling and money laundering*
- Serving as national counsel for Deloro Stellite Company Inc. in more than 90 products liability suits, including individual cases and class actions in Texas, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana and Illinois*
*Matters handled prior to joining the firm