Jonathan Ritson-Candler is an associate in the London office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Global Financial Institutions Industry Group. Mr. Ritson-Candler specializes in financial services regulatory advice and has experience advising a range of financial institutions and market infrastructure providers on domestic and cross-border regulatory issues.
Mr. Ritson-Candler advises global investment banks, corporate finance houses, fund managers, insurers, broker-dealers, and market infrastructure and data services providers on a variety of legal and regulatory risk management matters. He has particular expertise in the FCA’s Conduct of Business Rules; European regulatory developments such as MiFID II, MAR, and PRIIPs KID; and the EU Benchmark Regulation, as well as having a particular interest in anti-money laundering and financial crime and the UK’s on-shoring of EU financial services legislation in light of Brexit.
Mr. Ritson-Candler was recognised as a Rising Star for Financial Services: Non Contentious/Regulatory in The Legal 500 UK in both 2020 and 2021.
Mr. Ritson-Candler’s recent highlights have included advising:
- A number of global investment banks on their Brexit planning strategies and the impact of a no-deal "Hard Brexit" on their business
- A UK private bank and wealth manager by undertaking an in-depth review of the firm’s approach to suitability and reporting to the Board
- A number of firms in their implementation of the Money Laundering Regulations 2017
and the changes brought about by MLD5
- A US based provider of indices in its negotiation to engage an authorised EU benchmark administrator
- A number of global investment banks in relation to their use and/or sale of "big data" and the associated EU regulatory touchpoints
- A listed company on the MAR implications of rolling out a global employee share scheme (in particular, in relation to PDMR transactions and decision making)
- A number of financial services clients in relation to important firm-wide MiFID II preparation and implementation projects
- A number of global investment banks on the implementation of the MiFID II product governance regime
- A major investment bank (whilst on secondment) on its implementation of MAR*
- A number of global investment banks and a market data provider on the implementation of the EU Benchmark Regulation, including seeking authorization as a benchmark administrator*
- An e-commerce platform on perimeter queries relating to the need for authorization as an e-money issuer or payment service provider*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham