Jessica Stebbins Bina, a seasoned trial lawyer, represents media, entertainment, and technology companies in complex, high-stakes, and reputationally sensitive disputes and investigations.
Ms. Stebbins Bina counsels clients from the earliest stages of investigation through trial and appeal. She has tried complex cases to successful jury verdicts, and regularly achieves client victories in arbitration and mediation. She has also litigated numerous cases through successful appeals, and has argued before both the state and federal appellate courts. She draws on extensive litigation experience to assist clients in obtaining early, favorable settlements.
Ms. Stebbins Bina regularly represents clients in the film, television, music, radio, and internet industries. She also works with clients in the sports, technology, video game, and real estate sectors.
In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Stebbins Bina counsels clients facing reputational risk, coordinating structural advice and public relations to reduce exposure.
Ms. Stebbins Bina’s professional experience includes defending clients against a range of complex claims, including copyright, trademark, contract, fiduciary breach, privacy, and fraud claims as well as complex tort actions involving novel issues of employer liability and respondeat superior.
Ms. Stebbins Bina established her reputation as a skilled trial lawyer representing concert promoter AEG Live in the six-month wrongful death jury trial brought by Michael Jackson’s family, including defending that case on appeal through the family’s attempts to take the case to the California Supreme Court. The verdict was named one of the top 10 most significant defense verdicts of the year by the nation’s leading legal journalists.
Other recent representations include:
- Association of Talent Agents (ATA) in its high-profile dispute with the Writers Guild of America
- Talent agency ICM Partners, LLC, in a representative action filed against it by the Writers Guild over the practice of television packaging
- Apple, Inc., in ongoing copyright litigation against Corellium, LLC, a company that sells “virtual iPhones”
- Harmony Gold USA, Inc., in a successful copyright and trademark arbitration against Tatsunoko Production Company, in which the client prevailed and was awarded substantial attorneys’ fees
- A group of former governmental officials and staff in an amicus curiae brief to the United States Supreme Court regarding copyright in the law
- A major studio in a number of internal investigations and litigation matters
- A media and entertainment company in an ongoing contract arbitration
- A well-known production company in an employment dispute involving allegations of discrimination
- A cable television channel in a complex contract matter involving a major television franchise
- An animation company involving complex international intellectual property disputes
- A major Latin radio broadcaster in music licensing litigation and a shareholder rights action