Jared Grimley advises domestic and multinational corporations on the tax aspects of complex domestic and cross-border transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, tax-free spin-offs, and restructurings.
Mr. Grimley integrates with deal teams to advise clients across industries on the US federal income taxation of strategic transactions.
He provides a solutions-oriented approach with a commercial perspective, and brings familiarity with complex modeling and analysis. He draws on nearly 15 years in the financial derivatives industry, including in structuring and trading roles, prior to commencing his legal career.
He also served as a navigation analyst and geophysicist in the oil and gas industry in the North Sea.
Mr. Grimley speaks and writes about tax topics, including for the International Tax Journal and the Tax Executives Institute.
Mr. Grimley counsels clients on the tax aspects of major corporate transactions. His representative experience includes advising:
- Akebia Therapeutics on its US$575 million merger of equals with Keryx Biopharmaceuticals
- CenterPoint Energy on its US$850 million sale of business units to PowerTeam Services
- Energy Transfer on its US$5.1 billion acquisition of SemGroup
- EQM Midstream Partners on its US$1.8 billion merger with Equitrans Midstream Corporation
- Fertitta Entertainment on its pending sale of Golden Nugget Online Gaming to DraftKings
- FMC Technologies on its US$13 billion merger of equals with Technip via the EU cross-border merger regime
- Hess Midstream Partners on its US$6.2 billion acquisition of Hess Infrastructure Partners
- Midstates Petroleum Company on its US$729 million merger of equals with Amplify Energy
- NVIDIA on its (since terminated) agreement to acquire Arm Limited for US$40 billion
- Pembina Pipeline Corporation on its US$4.35 billion acquisition of Kinder Morgan Canada
- Rice Energy on its US$2.7 billion acquisition of Vantage Energy and Vantage Energy II
- TMK-IPSCO on its sale of IPSCO Tubulars to Tenaris
- UGI on its US$2.4 billion acquisition of 74% stake in AmeriGas
- Colfax Corporation on its pending spin-off of its industrial and medical device businesses into two publicly-traded companies
- Enduro Resource Partners on its US$350 million chapter 11 restructuring
- Lone Star Resources on its US$535 million chapter 11 restructuring
- Pacific Drilling on its US$1.2 billion chapter 11 restructuring
- Weatherford International on its US$8.6 billion chapter 11 restructuring
- “Tax Controversy and M&A,” Houston TEI 2021 Tax School, October 2021
- “International Tax & Controversy Issues in Cross-Border M&A,” Houston TEI International Tax Planning Update, February 2020
- “An Update on Major International Tax Cases and Their Impact,” Houston TEI International Tax Planning Update, February 2017