Jane Summers is a partner in the New York office of Latham & Watkins. She is a member of the firm's Finance Department and Banking Practice, where she focuses primarily on representing major financial institutions in leveraged finance transactions, including acquisition financings, cross-border financings, asset-based facilities, and other senior secured lending transactions, as well as in connection with strategic purchases of distressed debt. Ms. Summers also advises loan market participants on strategic initiatives designed to address structural issues in the syndicated lending and loan trading markets, speaks frequently on market trends, and serves as an expert witness and consultant involving questions critical to market practices. She is former Co-Chair of Latham's Women Enriching Business Committee in New York and a former member of the firm's Ethics and Finance Committees.
Prior to joining Latham, Ms. Summers served as executive vice president and general counsel of the Loan Syndications & Trading Association (LSTA), the industry organization for the corporate loan market. While at the LSTA, Ms. Summers was responsible for developing and managing the organization's legal, documentation, and regulatory strategies for key industry issues that establish standard market practices and procedures. Ms. Summers was appointed the LSTA's first general counsel in 2000. Ms. Summers spent the first decade of her career in the leveraged finance group at another major law firm, following which she served as deputy general counsel for Barclays in the Americas.
Ms. Summers is a member of the American Bar Association Business Law Section's Syndications and Lender Relations Subcommittee, the New York State Bar Association, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, and its Committee on Women in the Profession. Ms. Summers is a fellow of the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers and she is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer for banking & finance by Chambers USA.
- ABA Business Law Section – Tax Reform Update (September 2019)
- Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys – Hot Topics in Leveraged Lending (November 2019)
- LSTA Webcasts
- US Tax Reform: Revisiting the Impact on Leveraged Finance (June 2019)
- Deal Terms for Corporate Borrowers & Other Hot Topics (June 2018)
- Implications of Tax Reform on Global Businesses (January 2018)
- It’s Always Better to Be Direct (June 2017)
- ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting – Migration of TLB Terms into TLA Facilities, and Other Hot Topics (April 2018)
- LIBOR Forum – Loan Collateral, Securitization Contracts, and Derivatives (January 2018)
- Joint Trades LIBOR Symposium Panelist (October 2017)
- ABA Business Law Section Fall Meeting – It’s Always Better to Be Direct: A Guide to Direct Lending (September 2017)
- LSTA Women’s Committee Panel Discussion (September 2017)
- LMA/LSTA London Conference Panel
- UK and US Loan Markets: Trends and Deal Terms (March 2017)
- Direct Lending (March 2016)