Ian Felstead, Global Vice Chair of Latham & Watkins’ Complex Commercial Litigation Practice, advises clients on a variety of commercial litigation and regulatory disputes, with a particular focus on the media, technology, and sports industries.
Mr. Felstead draws on nearly two decades of experience navigating complex and high-profile disputes to achieve clients’ business objectives. He regularly advises many of the world’s leading companies in the media, technology, and sports industries on high-value, multijurisdictional issues.
Combining sophisticated industry knowledge and practical problem solving, Mr. Felstead handles a diverse range of commercial disputes — from breach of contract claims and intellectual property disputes to allegations of misconduct and internal investigations. His practice encompasses proceedings brought before a variety of venues, including the High Court and domestic and international tribunals, as well as specialist tribunals such as the UK Copyright Tribunal.
Additionally, Mr. Felstead advises clients on a wide-range of regulatory and public law matters, including acting on behalf of claimants and defendants in judicial review proceedings. He also has particular experience in media litigation, including in relation to data protection, defamation, and breach of confidence/privacy. Mr. Felstead regularly advises individuals and companies on reputation management issues.
Mr. Felstead's experience includes advising:
A leading media company in defending unfair prejudice proceedings in the High Court, including successfully resisting an interim injunction application seeking to prevent completion of a corporate acquisition
- Facebook in various litigation and regulatory inquiries, including managing and coordinating its global litigation and regulatory response in relation to a data breach
- A major newspaper group regarding the Bribery Act and associated issues*
- ITV in relation to a judicial review of Ofcom*
- A football club in relation to a number of Football Association arbitrations*
- Clearcast defending judicial review proceedings regarding the clearance of claims in television advertising*
- Post Office Limited on a national program of sub-Post Office closures, including in relation to number of judicial reviews arising out of such closures*
- Various high net-worth individuals and leading companies in relation to reputation management issues
- ITV in relation to libel proceedings brought by Lord McAlpine*
- A high-profile television presenter in relation to a number of disputes and reputation management issues following the presenter’s departure from a major broadcaster*
- A leading sports broadcaster in relation to a libel claim brought by a Premier League football club and its manager*
- News Group Newspapers on the high-profile voicemail interception litigation*
- A television production company on content compliance in respect of a major new factual series*
- A high-profile employee of a Premier League football club in relation to the employee’s departure from the club and associated reputation management issues*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham