Hilary Shalla is a partner in the Real Estate Practice and Corporate Department Chair in the Orange County office. She has extensive experience representing individuals, partnerships, and corporations, including REITs, private equity sponsors, and other institutional clients, in a broad range of commercial real estate transactions.
Ms. Shalla primarily handles real estate transactional matters, including acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, and financing of complex real estate portfolios, as well as the development of commercial real estate. She has particular experience advising on REIT transactions, including in connection with roll-ups, initial public offerings, mergers, and other similar transactions.
Her clients include private equity sponsors, REITs, institutional and individual investors, and residential and commercial developers engaged in all aspects of real estate investment and development.
Ms. Shalla previously served as Vice President, Senior Counsel of Irvine Company, a real estate investment company and developer. Ms. Shalla is a member of the Associates Committee, the former Chair of the firm’s Mentoring Committee, and is former Co-Chair of the Orange County office’s Women Enriching Business Committee, which is responsible for promoting women in business both inside and outside the firm, through global and local efforts designed to create broader networks and productive business relationships and support the long-term success of women.
Ms. Shalla’s experience includes:
- Representing numerous clients in the acquisition, disposition, development, financing, and joint venture of office, multi-family, storage, logistics, healthcare, retail, and other commercial and residential properties
- Representing borrowers in connection with secured and unsecured financing transactions
- Representing various clients in their real estate aspects of mergers, acquisitions, initial public offerings, and other corporate transactions
- Formation of RIDEA joint ventures involving senior housing facilities, including concurrent recapitalization with agency debt
- Formation of joint ventures involving sovereign wealth funds
- Formation of development joint ventures, including capitalization with construction financing
- Acquisition and disposition of senior housing facilities, rehabilitation hospitals, long-term acute care facilities, assisted living facilities, and medical office buildings throughout the country
- Conversion of commercial property owners and operators to REITs
- Acquisition of stock in commercial property owners and operators and concurrent restructuring of assets for REIT compliance
- Roll-up IPO of, and subsequent contribution of assets to, an MLP owning and acquiring commercial real property interests
- Acquisition and concurrent financing of a portfolio of 30 warehousing and logistics facilities
- Securitized mortgage financing encumbering 43 refrigerated warehouses
- Restructuring of a portfolio of leases and management arrangements for 75 senior housing facilities, including related agency debt
- Portfolio disposition of 33 office buildings
- Portfolio disposition of 40 senior housing facilities
- Acquisition of former Navy base land and development of a multi-family residential project