Heather Waller is a partner in the Chicago office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Litigation & Trial Department. Since joining the firm in 2011, Ms. Waller has worked on a variety of complex litigation matters in state and federal court. Her experience includes securities, environmental, insurance, and general commercial litigation. She is also a member of the firm’s Technology Committee.
Ms. Waller has worked on securities litigation at both the trial and appellate level and has worked extensively defending clients in connection with investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission and related civil litigation. She also has experience in environmental and insurance matters with a particular focus in mass tort and CERCLA matters. Ms. Waller has devoted significant time to pro bono work, particularly in the areas of immigration, domestic violence, and prisoner rights.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Waller served as a judicial clerk for Judge Karen Nelson Moore of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. While attending law school, Ms. Waller served as the editor-in-chief of the University of Illinois Law Review. Ms. Waller worked at a public accounting firm for two years prior to law school, and she is a registered CPA in Illinois.
Ms. Waller is admitted to practice in the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Ms. Waller's experience includes representation of:
- Public company in internal and government investigations relating to accounting and disclosure issues
- Former CEO of a public company in internal and government investigations relating to revenue recognition, as well as related shareholder litigation
- Public company in an SEC investigation related to tax accounting
- Public companies and employee in SEC insider trading investigations
- Registered investment advisers in connection with SEC investigations
- A global manufacturer in an SEC investigation related to accounting and disclosure issues and in a securities class action
- Global online travel company in connection with an FINRA inquiry and shareholder litigation
- Gaming industry client in a class action stemming from the company’s merger with a gaming and lottery company
- Gaming industry client in an appeal of securities class action
- Real estate investment trust in litigation related to a multimillion-dollar fraud against the client that resulted in a disclosure to federal authorities and criminal convictions of perpetrators of the fraud, as well as related insurance issues
Environmental and Insurance:
- Paper mill in CERCLA litigation involving the US$1.6 billion remediation of alleged PCB contamination in the sediments of the Fox River in Wisconsin
- Defense industry contractor in CERCLA litigation
- A pipeline owner and operator in defending toxic tort claims of approximately 400 plaintiffs relating to a gasoline pipeline release
- A pipeline owner and operator in claims against a third-party for causing pipeline release and related insurance matters
- A Chicago hospital in connection with insurance matters
- A public university in connection with insurance matters
- A variety of pro bono clients in cases related to immigration, domestic violence, and prisoner rights