Hayley Pizzey is an associate in the London office of Latham & Watkins.
Ms. Pizzey is a trusted adviser to a number of international organizations. She is frequently engaged in complex and high-value disputes and regulatory inquiries.
Ms. Pizzey primarily handles multi-jurisdictional litigation and regulatory matters. She advises clients on a wide range of disputes with a particular focus on commercial litigation and contentious data protection matters as well as regulatory investigations.
Ms. Pizzey’s role includes advising on inquiries commenced by the Irish Data Protection Commission, compliance with the GDPR, alleged data breaches and regulatory notifications, and regulatory sanctions.
Ms. Pizzey's experience includes claims in the High Court, the Court of Appeal, and the Competition Appeal Tribunal. She has also acted on matters involving the Competition and Markets Authority, the European Commission, and data protection authorities across the world.
Ms. Pizzey is also trusted advisor to her pro bono clients.
Ms. Pizzey is co-author of the UK chapter of the GIR’s “The Practitioner's Guide to Global Investigations 2020 - Data Protection”.
Ms. Pizzey held an instrumental role in of the team awarded Competition Team of the Year at The Lawyers Awards 2014.
Ms. Pizzey qualified as a solicitor in September 2011.
Ms. Pizzey's recent experience includes:
- Advising Facebook in various litigation and regulatory inquiries, including managing and coordinating its global litigation and regulatory response in relation to a data breach
- Leading a large technology conglomerate’s response to potential claims arising out of a US$1 billion transaction
- Leading the Renesas Group’s defense to a follow-on damages claim for c. £400 million in connection with the European Commission’s Smart Card Chips cartel decision
- Acting as lead advisor for a large global bank in a c. €60 million outsourcing agreement dispute
- Advising an large global bank on an expert determination with a value in excess of €50 million
- Advising a major global bank on potential clams under a €5 billion outsourcing agreement
- Leading an international pharmaceutical company’s defense, and successful settlement, in a guarantee claim
- Acting as trusted advisor for a large helicopter operator in relation to a number of commercial disputes with a helicopter manufacturer
- Leading the negotiation a complex settlement for a large helicopter operator following a multi-million pound dispute with a helicopter manufacturer
- Leading an international asset manager’s response to potential multi-jurisdictional enforcement action in respect of assets exceeding £100 million
- Lead advisor to German healthcare provider in respect of its termination rights under a consultancy agreement
- Lead advisor to an international pharmaceutical company in respect of its termination rights under a supply agreement
- Successfully settled a c. £65 million follow-on damages claim for a global technology conglomerate in a UK damages action following on from the European Commission’s DRAM decision
- Acting for a high profile individual in the entertainment and media industry in an employment claim arising out of the alleged misconduct of Harvey Weinstein
- Advising an international private equity firm on potential litigation against one of its portfolio companies intimated to be in excess of £50 million
- Conducting an independent internal “systems and controls” review of a listed company
- Advising a US$ billion organization on its obligations under a Deed of Settlement
- Advising a foreign bank on its rights under an English loan agreement
- Advising an international organization on its disclosure obligations in English proceedings
- Advising a private vehicle hire group on its obligations under a loan note instrument
- Advising a private vehicle hire group on the enforceability of restrictive covenants
- Advising a global instant messaging organization on an investigation by a Member State Competition Authority
- Advising a pharmaceutical company in respect of its potential fine liability for breaches of Articles 101 and 102 of the TFEU
- Advising a private equity firm on a target’s exposure to follow-on damages claims following a cartel decision of the European Commission involving the target
- Acting for one of the world’s largest web hosting companies in responding to a call for information from the Competition and Markets Authority
- Advising an international corporation on its claims for confidentiality before the European Commission and the impact of UK damages actions
- Advising an SME in its successful follow-on damages claim (funded by third party funders) in the Competition Appeal Tribunal*
- Advising a mining company in its application for judicial review against a London Stock Exchange decision resulting in settlement*
- Advising an SME in its application for judicial review against an Ofwat determination*
- Acting for a foreign tour operator in an application for the appointment of provisional liquidators and a multi-million pound debt recovery claim*
- Acting for a money transfer business in obtaining injunctive relief and its abuse of dominance claim in the High court resulting in settlement*
- Acting for a retailer in its application for judicial review of an Office of Fair Trading decision to accept undertaking in lieu of reference*
- Acting for a major airline in civil claims in the English High Court for damages arising out of price fixing cartel charges*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham