David Tolley, Chair of the Boston Litigation & Trial Department, represents clients in high-stakes government investigations and litigation, especially clients in the healthcare and life sciences industries.
Mr. Tolley advises and defends healthcare and life sciences organizations, in addition to organizations in other heavily regulated industries, including regional and national hospital systems, health insurers, medical device manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, and other organizations, in a variety of investigative, litigation, regulatory, and compliance matters.
Mr. Tolley has represented numerous healthcare and life sciences organizations, in addition to organizations and companies from other heavily regulated industries, under investigation by state and federal authorities, and he regularly conducts internal investigations. Mr. Tolley has also assisted in developing comprehensive organizational compliance programs.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Tolley practiced at another leading firm in Boston.
Mr. Tolley's representative experience includes:
- Represented a large health insurer in a national False Claims Act matter
- Represented the University of Massachusetts Medical School in a False Claims Act case, the case was ultimately dismissed
- Pursued affirmative litigation against CMS on behalf of a healthcare organization facing reimbursement recoupment demands
- Represented a large hospital chain in various litigation matters
- Lead multiple internal investigations for a large multi-hospital system
- Represented several organizations in criminal and civil investigations related to opioid products
- Represented a large academic medical center in state and federal inquiries regarding the medical necessity of inpatient hospital admissions
- Represented a pharmacy chain in a multi-state investigation
- Represented organizations in privacy law enforcement matters
Regulatory & Compliance
- Served as primary counsel with respect to privacy issues for several large healthcare organizations
- Assisted with breach assessment and response for multiple healthcare organizations
- Developed and structured risk-sharing and accountable care arrangements between a large health system and multiple private health plans
Memberships / Professional Organizations
- Mr. Tolley is the President of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (Massachusetts/Rhode Island Chapter), a member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association and a member of the American Health Lawyers Association