David Tolley is a partner in the Boston office of Latham & Watkins, with an emphasis on representing clients in the healthcare and life sciences industries.
Mr. Tolley advises and defends healthcare and life sciences organizations, including hospitals, pharmacy organizations, health IT companies, medical device manufacturers, and other organizations in a variety of regulatory, compliance, and litigation matters.
Mr. Tolley has represented numerous healthcare and life sciences organizations, in addition to organizations and companies from other heavily regulated industries, under investigation by state and federal authorities, and he regularly conducts internal investigations. Mr. Tolley has also assisted with development of comprehensive organizational compliance programs.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Tolley practiced at another leading firm in Boston.
Mr. Tolley's representative experience includes:
- Represented a large health insurer in a national False Claims Act matter
- Represented the University of Massachusetts Medical School in a False Claims Act case, the case was ultimately dismissed
- Pursued affirmative litigation against CMS on behalf of a healthcare organization facing reimbursement recoupment demands
- Represented a large hospital chain in various litigation matters
- Lead multiple internal investigations for a large multi-hospital system
- Represented a large academic medical center in state and federal inquiries regarding the medical necessity of inpatient hospital admissions
- Represented a pharmacy chain in a multi-state investigation
Regulatory & Compliance
- Served as primary counsel with respect to privacy issues for several large healthcare organizations
- Developed a HIPAA compliance program for a healthcare technology company
- Assisted with breach assessment and response for multiple healthcare organizations
- Developed and structured risk-sharing and accountable care arrangements between a large health system and multiple private health plans*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham
Memberships / Professional Organizations
- Mr. Tolley is the President of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (Massachusetts/Rhode Island Chapter), a member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association and a member of the American Health Lawyers Association