David Schindler is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and former Co-Chair of the firm's White Collar Defense & Investigations Practice. His practice focuses on the defense of white collar and government investigations, healthcare fraud and abuse, intellectual property, e-commerce, business litigation, and civil litigation.
Mr. Schindler has conducted internal investigations and represented companies, Boards of Directors, and individuals in connection with trials, ancillary proceedings, and government investigations involving a wide array of criminal, quasi-criminal, and regulatory matters including:
Mr. Schindler is an experienced and well-respected speaker and has delivered lectures and instruction throughout the world on conducting internal investigations, financial statement fraud, healthcare fraud and abuse, computer law, cybercrime, computer intrusions, and corporate compliance.
Mr. Schindler is recognized as a leading white-collar crime and government investigations litigation attorney in numerous publications including, his Band 1 recognition by Chambers USA, the 2013, 2009 and 2008 editions of The Legal 500 US, where he was recognized for his trade secrets and white collar litigation work, and his 2013 recognition by Euromoney as a Life Sciences Industry Star. He was also named Outstanding Healthcare Fraud and Compliance Lawyer by Nightingale’s Healthcare News in 2007 and 2005.
He has received the Attorney General's Award For Distinguished Service, the Director's Award For Superior Performance, and multiple special achievement awards from the Department of Justice.
Mr. Schindler's representative experience includes:
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of Tenet Healthcare subsidiary in connection with two federal criminal trials alleging violations of the anti-kickback statute. Both cases ended in hung juries and the government ultimately dismissed the criminal cases.
- Lead counsel representing Tenet Healthcare in connection with government investigations nationwide.
- Lead counsel on successful defense of RICO complaint challenging client’s marketing programs.
- Lead counsel defending civil and regulatory challenges to client’s auto-renewal marketing programs.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in connection with alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. No charges filed.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in connection with alleged violations of campaign finance laws. No charges filed.
- Represented major accounting firm in connection with a criminal investigation by a state entity. No charges filed.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with a criminal investigation into alleged off-label promotion. No charges filed.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Schindler was senior litigation counsel and the computer fraud and telecommunications coordinator for the Los Angeles United States Attorney's Office. He served on the Attorney General's Advisory Committee Working Group on Computer Crime and he handled numerous high-profile prosecutions, including the following:
- Fraud conviction of the then-sitting Governor of Arizona in United States v. John Symington, III
- False statement conviction of the former chief of American Savings in United States v. Charles Knapp, et al.
- Securities fraud and racketeering conviction in the largest bogus municipal bond scheme in United States v. John Anthony Genetti, et al.
- Conviction of a notorious computer hacker for theft of proprietary software in United States v. Kevin David Mitnick
- Conviction of computer hackers for rigging radio contests and accessing law enforcement wiretaps in United States v. Kevin Lee Poulsen, et al.