Cathy Yeung is the Corporate Department Chair of Latham & Watkins’ Hong Kong office and Chair of the firm’s Greater China Practice.
Ms. Yeung has an excellent reputation in advising on PRC-related corporate finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and public company representation. Her practice focuses on:
- Capital markets, including initial public offerings
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity
- Regulatory and compliance
- Corporate governance
Ms. Yeung has represented a number of leading investment banks and Chinese companies in various PRC-related corporate finance transactions in China and Hong Kong, and has extensive experience in foreign direct investment, corporate restructuring and property development in the PRC.
Ms. Yeung regularly speaks at the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the Hong Kong Institute of Company Secretaries regarding the rules governing the securities listings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and corporate governance, and was the company secretary of Bank of China for about 8 years, until October 2015.
According to Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015, Ms. Yeung has "very good, professional knowledge of both Hong Kong and China laws, and keeps good relationships with a variety of clients." She is also praised by Chambers Global 2015, "Some of her clients are the most well-known corporate leaders in different industries." Ms. Yeung is also recognized as Securities Lawyer of the Year in the Asia Legal Awards by The Asian Lawyer 2016 and the leading capital markets lawyer in Euromoney Legal Media Group’s 2014 Asia Women in Business Law Awards.
Prior to joining Latham, she worked at the Hong Kong office of a Magic Circle law firm for more than 10 years.
Ms. Yeung is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Ms. Yeung's representative experience includes advising:
- Hytera Communications Corporation on its acquisition of Sepura, a UK-based manufacturer of Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA) digital mobile radios and LTE system solutions
- Kunming Dianchi Water Treatment Company Limited, Yunnan’s largest wastewater treatment and reclaimed water supplier, on its HKD1.41 billion initial public offering of H shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Jilin Jiutai Rural Commercial Bank on its HKD3.46 billion initial public offering of H Shares on the Main Board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange. It is the second Chinese rural commercial bank to list in Hong Kong
- CICC, Haitong and other underwriters on the HKD1.92 billion H-share initial public offering of Shanghai Dazhong Public Utilities (Group) Co., Ltd. on the Main Board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- The shareholders in the sale of the entire issued share capital of Kono Insurance Limited, an authorised general insurer in Hong Kong, to Zurich Insurance Company Limited
- GF Securities Co., Ltd. on its more than HKD32 billion initial public offering of H Shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. GF Securities is an A share company listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange, and the fourth largest securities firm in China by total assets
- China Galaxy Securities Co., Ltd. on its US$3.1 billion (HKD23.98 billion) H Share placing, the largest follow-on offering in China and second largest follow-on offering in Asia in the year at the time of issuance
- Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co., Ltd on its more than HKD8.49 billion initial public offering of H shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Fuyao Glass is an existing A share listed company on the Shanghai Stock Exchange, and the world’s second largest automobile glass manufacturer
- The underwriters on Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN)'s more than HKD6.67 billion initial public offering on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. HKBN is Hong Kong’s largest residential fibre broadband services provider
- Huishang Bank Corporation, the largest city commercial bank in Central China, on its initial public offering of 2.6 billion shares listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- New Century Asset Management Limited, the manager of New Century Real Estate Investment Trust (New Century REIT), which is the world’s first China-based hotel REIT and owns four five-star hotels in mainland China, on its Hong Kong initial public offering
- Minmetals Land Capital Limited on its US$350 million offering of 5.5% guaranteed bonds due 2018 and 6.5% guaranteed bonds due 2023 listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- The joint financial advisers to Yuexiu Real Estate Investment Trust (“Yuexiu REIT”), on its acquisition of approximately 99% interest in Guangzhou IFC from Yuexiu Property Company Limited (“Yuexiu Property”) at the consideration of approximately CNY8.85 billion, which constitutes a very substantial acquisition and a connected transaction for Yuexiu REIT
- Merrill Lynch Far East as sole financial advisor and underwriter on Sinopec Kantons’ HKD2.22 billion acquisition of interests in five joint ventures in the PRC from its ultimate controlling shareholder, China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation and HKD3.49 billion rights issue
- The underwriters on Beijing Jingneng Clean Energy’s initial public offering of 1 billion H shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, raising US$1.9 billion
- CITIC Securities Company Limited, China's leading investment bank listed on Shanghai Stock Exchange, on its initial public offering of H shares listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- The underwriters on Bank of China Limited’s initial public offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange*
- The underwriters on BOC Hong Kong (Holdings) Limited’s initial public offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange*
- China Life Insurance Company Limited on its initial public offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange and the subsequent listing on the Shanghai Stock Exchange*
- China Power International Development Limited on its initial public offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange*
- Franshion Properties (China) Limited on its initial public offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange*
- Sinofert Holdings Limited on its convertible bonds issuance and share placing*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham & Watkins