Cary Hyden served as Chair of the Corporate Department in Orange County for almost 10 years and advises companies, private equity sponsors, and financial advisors on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, and general corporate and securities matters. He has substantial experience representing companies in hostile takeover matters and in situations involving activist stockholders and was named by American Lawyer as Dealmaker of the Year in 2015 for his successful defense of Allergan in the hostile takeover attempt by Valeant and Bill Ackman’s Pershing Square and the US$73 billion sale to Actavis.
Mr. Hyden has been named by Daily Journal to the list of Top 100 Lawyers in California on multiple occasions. He was also recognized by BTI Consulting Group, Inc. as an All Star for delivering superior client service based on interviews with general counsel and senior executive officers, and was one of only five lawyers in the nation to have received the 3 Year MVP award.
Mr. Hyden has led approximately 200 merger and acquisition transactions representing clients in a broad range of industry segments and has developed substantial experience representing:
- Pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device, and lifescience companies such as Allergan, Avanir, Beckman Coulter, Edwards Lifesciences, Hospira, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, NextGen, Questcor, and Trizetto
- Consumer, retail, apparel, and action sports companies such as Volcom, Oakley, ASICS, Skullcandy, Tilly’s, InterMix, Mossimo, Diesel S.p.A, Chrome Hearts, Fox Head, Rusty, St. John Knits, DC Shoes, Too Faced Cosmetics, prAna, Yeezy, and Paul Frank
- Technology companies such as Broadcom, STEC, NextGen, OSI Systems, Kelley Blue Book, Mophie, Core Logic, Resources Connection, Clean Energy Fuels, Alorica, and Ossur
- Real estate and mortgage banking companies such as William Lyon Homes, Landsea Homes, and Quality Mortgage USA
Highlighted mergers and acquisitions include:
- Allergan in connection with its US$72.8 billion sale to Actavis (recognized by The American Lawyer in its Big Deal section in January 2015 as the largest M&A transaction of 2014). Mr. Hyden was also recognized by The American Lawyer for his representation of Allergan on this transaction as a Global M&A Deal of the Year: U.S., in July 2015, Dealmaker of the Year in April 2015, and in the November 2014 Dealmakers of the Week section.
- Allergan in connection with the successful defense of US$54.6 billion unsolicited hostile takeover launched by Valeant along with activist hedge fund, Pershing Square Capital Management led by Bill Ackman (recognized by The American Lawyer in its Big Deal section in July 2014)
- Questcor Pharmaceuticals in its US$6.2 billion sale to Mallinckrodt (recognized by The American Lawyer in its Big Deal section in May 2014)
- Beckman Coulter in connection with its US$6.8 billion sale to Danaher Corporation (recognized by The American Lawyer in its Big Deal section in 2011), its US$800 million carve out acquisition of the medical diagnostic business from a Japan-based manufacturer and its US$1.8 billion transaction with Biosite
- Volcom in its US$606 million sale to PPR S.A.
- DC Shoes in its US$150 million private company sale to Quiksilver
- Fox Head in its US$195 million sale to Altamont Capital Partners
- Oakley in its US$110 million acquisition of Eye Safety Systems, its acquisition of Optical Shop of Aspen, and its acquisition of Oliver Peoples
Mr. Hyden also has worked on more than 75 capital markets transactions and he regularly handles public and private offerings of both equity and debt securities, representing both issuers and underwriters, including Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, and Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
Mr. Hyden’s community involvement includes:
- Chair of Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC) Foundation Board of Directors (2019-present); Board member (2015-present)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Board Member (2014-present)
- University of Dallas Board of Trustees (2016-present)
- Chair, Forum for Corporate Directors (2015-2019), Board member (2010-present)
- New Majority, Board member (2010-present)
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA), Board member (1996-2008)
- Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation, Board member (1994-1998)
- P.A. Announcer, Laguna Beach High School Football Games (2005-present)
- Laguna Beach Little League, Board member (1998-2004)
- Coach, over 50 youth sports teams (1997-2006)