Barry Sabin is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins, where his practice is focused on white collar criminal and internal investigations, including accounting and securities fraud, healthcare fraud, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) matters, World Bank matters, US congressional investigations, national security matters, environmental, enforcement of sanctions and export control laws, complex civil litigation and compliance. He has significant experience with corporate investigations and enforcement matters across a range of industries, including energy, healthcare, aerospace, defense and government services. He also serves as global Co-chair of the firm’s Aerospace, Defense & Government Services Industry Group and is a member of the Corporate Governance Task Force.
Mr. Sabin joined Latham from the US Department of Justice, where he served for 18 years, most recently as Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division. As Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Mr. Sabin supervised the Fraud, Appellate, Capital Crimes, Gangs and Counterterrorism Sections. He has testified 16 times before the US Congress on subjects such as international procurement fraud, attorney-client privilege, federal election fraud, USA PATRIOT Act and terrorist financing.
Mr. Sabin also served as the Chief of the Criminal Division's Counterterrorism Section, where he led more than 55 attorneys and staff responsible for addressing US-domestic and international terrorism matters.
Previously, Mr. Sabin held several supervisory positions in the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida (Miami), serving as the First Assistant United States Attorney, as the Chief of the Criminal Division, as Chief of the Major Crimes Section and as the Deputy Chief of the Economic Crimes Section. His responsibilities included handling or overseeing the prosecution of white collar crimes, appeals, major crimes, money laundering, narcotics and violent crimes. He was lead trial counsel in more than 50 federal criminal jury trials and argued several cases before the US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Prior to his service at the Department of Justice, Mr. Sabin worked in private practice, focusing on corporate and securities, bankruptcy, real estate and healthcare matters.
Mr. Sabin’s recent experience includes the representation of:
- A global mining company in an FCPA investigation in Africa by DOJ and SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission)
- A global manufacturing company in an FCPA investigation in Africa by DOJ; following DOJ declination engaged to conduct global anti-corruption review
- An international energy company to address corruption allegations in Africa by the World Bank Group
- A global agribusiness company to address corruption allegations in Asia by the World Bank’s Integrity Vice Presidency
- A global energy company to address corruption allegations in Europe by the World Bank's Integrity Vice Presidency and related anti-corruption compliance review
- A global pharmaceutical company in an FCPA internal investigation in South America
- A Multilateral Development Bank as an independent investigator to address corruption allegations by a global energy company
- A global aerospace company in an anti-corruption compliance review
- Executives of a global healthcare company in an FCPA investigation by DOJ
- A former CEO of a global engineering company in an FCPA investigation by DOJ and SEC
- A global manufacturing company in an internal review and voluntary disclosure to DOJ involving economic sanctions
- Multiple matters representing executives and employees of a global financial institution involving economic sanctions allegations by DOJ and other agencies
- A global energy company in an economic sanctions investigation by DOJ, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and other agencies
- A sports medicine products and services company in a criminal grand jury investigation by DOJ and other agencies
- A Native American Indian Tribe in a healthcare grand jury investigation by DOJ
- Individual company senior executives in multiple off-label marketing investigations by DOJ and Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- A CEO and durable medical equipment company in a healthcare grand jury investigation by DOJ
- A CEO of a major hospital chain in a civil and criminal healthcare investigation and False Claims Act litigation
- A former Division President in a DOJ and state healthcare fraud investigation
- A global manufacturing company in an antitrust grand jury investigation by DOJ; follow-up presentation to DOJ resulted in the criminal prosecution of the whistleblower for obstruction of justice and false statements
- A global manufacturing company in an environmental internal investigation
- A global energy company in a criminal and administrative environmental investigation
- A global energy company in an internal investigation involving fraud
- A former community bank director in an insider trading investigation by DOJ and FDIC
- An NYSE-listed specialty finance company in a fraud investigation by DOJ resulting in a Non-Prosecution Agreement
- Senior US Government official in a Congressional investigation
- A global energy company and a global non-profit in separate Office of Congressional Ethics investigations