Michael J. Reiss is a member of the Litigation & Trial Department and the Complex Commercial Litigation Practice. Mr. Reiss advises clients on a wide range of complex commercial litigation, including sports and entertainment litigation, insolvency litigation, financial institution litigation, and intellectual property litigation.
Mr. Reiss handles complex business, sports, bankruptcy, and financial institution disputes. Mr. Reiss’ clients include private equity firms, sports labor unions, sports teams, and leading internet, software, and ridesharing companies.
Mr. Reiss has extensive experience in all aspects of federal and state civil litigation, including conducting direct and cross-examinations and delivering closing statements at trial, drafting and arguing dispositive motions, taking and defending key depositions, and leading his litigation teams in all facets from pre-litigation through trial, as well as negotiating favorable settlements to avoid trial.
Mr. Reiss maintains an active and dedicated pro bono practice, and has successfully represented Holocaust survivors to ensure that they receive tens of thousands of dollars owed to them by foreign governments, tenants who have received threats that they will be unlawfully evicted from their homes, and employees whose employers have unlawfully withheld earned wages.
Mr. Reiss’ experience includes:
Complex Business Litigation
- Representing PG&E in securities and derivative lawsuits related to the 2017 and 2018 northern California wildfires
- Successfully represented a leading private equity firm where plaintiffs alleged more than US$1 billion in damages based on a fraudulent transfer theory
- Successfully represented plaintiff craigslist, Inc. where craigslist alleged that defendants’ web scraping was unlawful. The California Daily Journal featured the craigslist case on its list of Top Plaintiffs’ Verdicts by Impact
- Successfully negotiated settlements of seven putative class actions alleging false advertising claims against a major sunscreen manufacturer
- Represented Lyft in dispute regarding former executive’s contractual and fiduciary duties
- Successfully opposed a motion for preliminary injunction where plaintiff alleged trademark infringement against a leading education software company
- Sweeping victory on behalf of the Arizona Coyotes in a week-long arbitration before the NHL Commissioner
- Lead counsel in representation of MLB franchise in a salary arbitration dispute
- Successfully represented the NFL Players Association regarding claims that the NFL unlawfully structured TV broadcast contracts to create a “war chest” for a lockout
- Successful Eighth Circuit appeal on behalf of a sports labor union concerning allegations of collusion
- Advise NFL Players Incorporated in connection with various endeavors
- Routinely represents debtors in major bankruptcies
- Co-lead counsel in complete trial victory on behalf of a creditor holding more than US$70 million of secured debt to displace debtors’ existing management with a trustee
- Successfully opposed the appointment of an equity committee in Weatherford bankruptcy
- Successfully argued on behalf of a major private equity firm for confirmation of a bankruptcy plan with third-party releases
- Successfully briefed and argued a US$20 million proof of claim dispute on behalf of a global technology leader