Matthew Salerno represents institutional and individual clients in their most sensitive and highest-stakes disputes, including white collar investigations and complex commercial matters.
Combining keen negotiating and trial skills, Mr. Salerno delivers strategic counsel to clients in a range of investigations and litigation. He regularly navigates business-critical matters on behalf of many of the world’s leading financial institutions and brands, as well as corporate officers and executives.
Mr. Salerno draws on his mix of plaintiff and defense-side experience to develop effective case strategies for clients. His vast and varied white collar work includes Foreign Corrupt Practices (FCPA), insider trading, and securities fraud matters. Mr. Salerno frequently advises on sovereign debt and securities matters involving government-owned entities. He also regularly handles trade secrets cases, breach of contracts disputes, and general tort matters, including defamation suits.
Mr. Salerno advises clients throughout all phases of state and federal investigations. Leveraging his broad experience working with government agencies and officers, he helps clients interact effectively with the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), state attorneys general, congressional oversight panels, and the Special Counsel’s Office. He secures desired outcomes for clients both by negotiating favorable settlements and bringing cases to trial.
Mr. Salerno regularly advises clients on a pro bono basis, including in connection with immigration and domestic violence matters.
Mr. Salerno previously served as a member of the firm’s Associates Committee, a firm leadership body comprising associates and partners that manages associate reviews and development as well as partnership recommendations.
Mr. Salerno’s experience includes representing:
White Collar Investigations and Litigation
- A large international bank in several investigations conducted by multiple state attorneys general and the DOJ, including under the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA)
- A witness in connection with Robert Mueller’s special counsel Russia probe and related congressional investigations
- Mark Cuban, entrepreneur and owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks franchise, in a securities fraud suit brought by the SEC in the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas, resulting in a four-week jury trial and complete defense verdict
- A global law firm in a cross-border investigation into potential FCPA violations conducted jointly by the DOJ, SEC, and international investigatory entities
- A big-four accounting firm in several international investigations initiated by the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board
Sovereign Debt and Securities
- A trustee and collateral agent on behalf of noteholders to recover more than US$1.68 billion issued by Venezuelan oil company PDVSA
- A group of entities in litigation against the Republic of Argentina in connection with breach of contract and non-payment on more than US$100 million
- Multiple consensual reprofilings of more than US$1 billion in Argentine provincial debt, including in the provinces of Chubut and Neuquén
Complex Commercial Litigation
- A technology company in two jury trials in the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts regarding breach of fiduciary duty, trade secret, and unfair competition claims
- Perkins Coie LLP and the Democratic National Committee in several defamation suits brought by a former Trump campaign advisor